Community Nurse/Health Visitor

aneltia

Hi,

I am new to this site and would like to hear from nurses who have migrated for UK to Oz. Whether it was on a permanent visa or a sponsored visa. I am 45 and have been a qualified community staff nurse for 10 yrs. I am now in my 1st year of health visiting (public health Nurse-Child and family).

Would like to know on current job opportunities please.

• 2 months later...
Hi,

I am new to this site and would like to hear from nurses who have migrated for UK to Oz. Whether it was on a permanent visa or a sponsored visa. I am 45 and have been a qualified community staff nurse for 10 yrs. I am now in my 1st year of health visiting (public health Nurse-Child and family).

Would like to know on current job opportunities please.

i work here as a child and family health nurse. I came on a 457 a year ago and was also promised PR which was granted a few weeks ago. Sponsorship is possible but you might need to go outside the metropolitan areas. I was a HV for 11 years before I came out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, yes any info possible wud be fab, I qualified as a SCPHN in sept. I work as a HV in Middlesbrough. I hope to move to Perth and was considering going back into the hospitals as getting any info on their HV equivalent has proved difficult. I sit my IELTs in Feb and will get my skills assessment done soon after. I hope to come over on a 189 visa. I am a 32 yr old married mother of 2 young boys I have been a nurse since 2004. I have numerous degree level modules in Trauma, urgent care, mentorship and palliative care as well as my SCPHN and adult degrees.

• 1 month later...
i work here as a child and family health nurse. I came on a 457 a year ago and was also promised PR which was granted a few weeks ago. Sponsorship is possible but you might need to go outside the metropolitan areas. I was a HV for 11 years before I came out.

I have just qualified as a SCPHN and I am also a registered mental health nurse. Do you have any contact details for anyone who I could email for further information regarding Job opportunities (as a child and family health nurse) and/or sponsorship please. thanks.

I'm also a health visitor here in Scotland & would be very interested in hearing about how the role compares to here in the UK. I'm concerned that vacancies for the child & family health nurse roles don't appear to come up that often. Is this the case? Any information would be gratefully received.

I have just qualified as a SCPHN and I am also a registered mental health nurse. Do you have any contact details for anyone who I could email for further information regarding Job opportunities (as a child and family health nurse) and/or sponsorship please. thanks.

https://nswhealth.erecruit.com.au/ViewPosition.aspx?Id=175526

https://nswhealth.erecruit.com.au/ViewPosition.aspx?Id=174075

https://nswhealth.erecruit.com.au/ViewPosition.aspx?Id=155772

i applied for jobs and when successful was offered sponsorship. If they haven't been able to fill the post locally they may offer sponsorship. I would also suggest you talk to Rural Doctors network (rdnnsw) who can link you up with potential employers for sponsorship eligible positions. Good luck. :)

I'm also a health visitor here in Scotland & would be very interested in hearing about how the role compares to here in the UK. I'm concerned that vacancies for the child & family health nurse roles don't appear to come up that often. Is this the case? Any information would be gratefully received.

It depends on where you are looking. NSW Health often has positions in CFHN advertised. The role is similar but less autonomous. You are very like a public health nurse rather than a health visitor. I use the same skills but less often as there is no real child protection or looked after children caseloads. I am an authorised immuniser, I do primary visits called UHHVs and child health checks, breast feeding support etc. not so different :)

good luck.

Thanks for the reply GilraenH. The thought of less child protection on the caseload is a very welcome thought!

It's NSW we're hoping to head to but no idea exactly where. Will depend greatly on work prospects as the thought of returning to the hospital after so long in community terrifies me. Will keep a close eye on the job sites while I wait for our next stages of visa & APHRA.

Hope you're enjoying your new life.

Thanks for the reply GilraenH. The thought of less child protection on the caseload is a very welcome thought!

It's NSW we're hoping to head to but no idea exactly where. Will depend greatly on work prospects as the thought of returning to the hospital after so long in community terrifies me. Will keep a close eye on the job sites while I wait for our next stages of visa & APHRA.

Hope you're enjoying your new life.

yes bigmac mac enjoying it very much! Pm me nearer the time :)

yes bigmac mac enjoying it very much! Pm me nearer the time :)

That's great to hear. I greatly appreciate the offer of PM you nearer the time & will most definitely take you up on that.

If you don't mind me asking are you working more rurally & if so do you have children? Was just wondering as hubby & I really fancy this but have two kids age 12 & 14 at the moment & was unsure how this would be for them.

That's great to hear. I greatly appreciate the offer of PM you nearer the time & will most definitely take you up on that.

If you don't mind me asking are you working more rurally & if so do you have children? Was just wondering as hubby & I really fancy this but have two kids age 12 & 14 at the moment & was unsure how this would be for them.

i arrived with 14 and 8 year old boys. My 14 year old is a sports fanatic and loves it here in rural NSW. I love the community spirit you get in towns rather than cities. I am happy to travel for shopping etc. the boys did cricket, soccer, rugby union, swimming, golf, tennis, athletics and the eldest went to compete at the NSW Eastern Creek state finals for the cross country after winning his school race etc. He has come runner up in Tamworth Junior Golf open in his age/grade. For him life is perfect. The younger onew loves it here too though he took a little longer to settle. He works in a cafe at the weekend and a few days after school. He will soon be driving.

Hubby found a job in his hospitality world just over a month after we arrived here. He had not found work at his manager level back home for a long while. He only regrets not coming sooner.

We we love the lifestyle, the country welcome and have a good, but not hectic, social life. My work has bent over backwards to make us feel at home and get settled. I can recommend my employing health district as good to work with.

I am not a city girl so it suits me, I want my children to have that upbringing so we are very happy going rural. :)

i arrived with 14 and 8 year old boys. My 14 year old is a sports fanatic and loves it here in rural NSW. I love the community spirit you get in towns rather than cities. I am happy to travel for shopping etc. the boys did cricket, soccer, rugby union, swimming, golf, tennis, athletics and the eldest went to compete at the NSW Eastern Creek state finals for the cross country after winning his school race etc. He has come runner up in Tamworth Junior Golf open in his age/grade. For him life is perfect. The younger onew loves it here too though he took a little longer to settle. He works in a cafe at the weekend and a few days after school. He will soon be driving.

Hubby found a job in his hospitality world just over a month after we arrived here. He had not found work at his manager level back home for a long while. He only regrets not coming sooner.

We we love the lifestyle, the country welcome and have a good, but not hectic, social life. My work has bent over backwards to make us feel at home and get settled. I can recommend my employing health district as good to work with.

I am not a city girl so it suits me, I want my children to have that upbringing so we are very happy going rural. :)

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Delighted everything seems to be working out very well for you & it's heartwarming to hear your update.

• 3 years later...

Hi all,

I know this post is old but hoping someone is still on here. I am a health visitor in the uk (3 Years qualified) and a mental health nurse previous to this. Just wondering if I can apply for a maternal and child health nurse job as some of them I’ve noticed require you to have a midwifery qualification too?

also is the job similar to what is hv’s do in the uk? 

Thinking of moving to Melbourne this year.

thanks in advance

abi

56 minutes ago, Abimc said:

Hi all,

I know this post is old but hoping someone is still on here. I am a health visitor in the uk (3 Years qualified) and a mental health nurse previous to this. Just wondering if I can apply for a maternal and child health nurse job as some of them I’ve noticed require you to have a midwifery qualification too?

also is the job similar to what is hv’s do in the uk? 

Thinking of moving to Melbourne this year.

thanks in advance

abi

Hi, no you can’t. In Victoria you need midwifery and then the recognised maternal and child health course as well. Have you looked at other states? Some of them have child and family nurses and the adverts for those sound more flexible in terms of recognising other similar qualifications.

I was a HV in the UK but have worked in Victoria on the back of my Adult Nursing degree. They like that you have done post grad qualifications, so it will help in that respect.

Sorry, probably not the answer you wanted but Victoria is very protective of that particular role and there is zero chance without the correct training, in my experience anyway.

Archived