Renting in the Uk - Costs?

jen85

Is it true that you have to pay the council rates when you rent a place in the UK? I have heard this before I want to make sure I am prepared for any extra costs that I'm not used to paying for here.

Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

Its right you pay the council tax which is based on the value of the property at a certain time. It can work out to be quite a lot depending on what banding the property is in. if its is for single occupancy I think it is around 25% discount you get.

Hi,

Yes I'm afraid you do. Obviously it is variable dependent on location -postcode your rental is given a letter code the lower i.e E rather than C the more expensive. We were in an E band property and it was £2200 a year this was in Hampshire.

Angie

Yes, absolutely. The tenant is responsible for council tax, water, gas and electricity. I know that some places advertise an all-inclusive rate but that's very uncommon.

Council tax varies, in our flat in London it was around £120 a month but it totally depends on the type of property and the area.

If you know which area you're going to be living in, go on that particular councils website and they'll have their annual rates for each 'band'. There's also usually a link to an official govt website where you can search the exact property by address and see what band it is.

Water was around £15 a month from memory, could be wrong!

Don't forget you'll also have to buy a TV licence (£140 a year?).

if its is for single occupancy I think it is around 25% discount you get.

Yep you can also apply for a single person discount (off your council tax only). You don't necessarily have to be literally the only person in the house- eg under 18s and any full time students regardless of age aren't counted as 'people'. There are a few categories of exemption- the council website should have full details.

HTH

Archived