TFN Proof of Identity

venki5star

Hi

I applied online got the application summary on email. They are asking 3 proofs. I am from India and I can arrange only Passport and Bank Statement for the proof. Right of them are "Australian" citizen related proofs.

Anyone done this recently? What are proofs and whats their points? Will they accept Photo ID Card provided by the state?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

you must provide one document from the list of 'Primary Documents' & other from the 'Secondary Documents'

From Primary Docs - your Passport with evidence of Australian Immigration Status will work.

From Secondary Docs- you can provide: Australian driver license or Medicare Card or Australian Bank Statement or Student Card.

I showed them passport, Medicare card, bank statement, and got TFN in 10 days.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Aussie Girl Bay

It appears that the ATO have changed their rules recently because I had applied for my TFN online and was never asked to submit any proof of identity documents (mind you this was about an year and a half ago). To answer your question - No you cannot provide an overseas drivers licence, and since proof of age/photo id card are not listed under secondary documents, I doubt whether you would be able to use them. Why not phone the ATO and explain your situation to them? If you're a permanent resident, you should be able to register yourself with Medicare, and you would be given a slip with your medicare number. The card would arrive in about 2-3 weeks. You may check with the ATO if the little slip is acceptable.

It appears that the ATO have changed their rules recently because I had applied for my TFN online and was never asked to submit any proof of identity documents (mind you this was about an year and a half ago). To answer your question - No you cannot provide an overseas drivers licence, and since proof of age/photo id card are not listed under secondary documents, I doubt whether you would be able to use them. Why not phone the ATO and explain your situation to them? If you're a permanent resident, you should be able to register yourself with Medicare, and you would be given a slip with your medicare number. The card would arrive in about 2-3 weeks. You may check with the ATO if the little slip is acceptable.

I am working here under work visa. I need the TFN asap. As you said, there is another form online which doesnt asks for proof. But they seems like discontinued. Now they are asking for the proof of identity.

This is what I am going to do:

- Passport

- Account Statement

- Photo ID (This is provided my the DMV)

Will check with the PO tomorrow. Will ATO if fails.

Will update you guys tomorrow.

Thanks for your time.

When I applied online they never asked for any proof of identity, however, I was told to book an appointment and bring proof of ID which I did. Probably photo ID may work, but you can also take your Bank Card as proof.

Best,

Aussie Girl Bay

I am working here under work visa. I need the TFN asap. As you said, there is another form online which doesnt asks for proof. But they seems like discontinued. Now they are asking for the proof of identity.

This is what I am going to do:

- Passport

- Account Statement

- Photo ID (This is provided my the DMV)

Will check with the PO tomorrow. Will ATO if fails.

Will update you guys tomorrow.

Thanks for your time.

When I applied online they never asked for any proof of identity, however, I was told to book an appointment and bring proof of ID which I did. Probably photo ID may work, but you can also take your Bank Card as proof.

Best,

Aussie Girl Bay

Turns out, there is different form for Non-Resident citizens which doesn't require any proof at all. I applied this a month before with wrong door number. I can ATO and talk for a while and got my TFN. The application goes through Post Office is for PR and Australian Citizens and doesn't apply for Non-Resident like me.

Thanks again

Turns out, there is different form for Non-Resident citizens which doesn't require any proof at all. I applied this a month before with wrong door number. I can ATO and talk for a while and got my TFN. The application goes through Post Office is for PR and Australian Citizens and doesn't apply for Non-Resident like me.

Thanks again

I applied online about 2 weeks ago and got mine through within 3 days. I am a PR with working rights and indefinite stay etc and I applied using this link

http://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-file-number/Applying-for-a-TFN/Permanent-migrants-or-temporary-visitors/

Only needed to put in UK passport number and it married it up with the Visa system I presume. Hubby applied as a citizen by descent- never been in Oz. Had to go to Post office with id and almost 2 1/2 weeks on it's still not here. If you have just arrived an are not a citizen then I guess you apply like I did above

Archived