CPA Skills Assessment for Accountants

DianaK

I need help clarifying a small detail on the conditions to get positive assessment.

My husband holds a Bachelor of statistics and econometrics from University of Economics in Bulgaria.In addition, he is two courses away from completing his CGA designation in Canada.

He has 9 of the 12 courses required, including the manadory courses, all completed through the university and the CGA program. Also, he has over 8 years of experience as accountant and 7 on IELTS academic.

I am concerned that CPA might not issue a positive assessment, as he has not completed his CGA yet.

I believe that his Bachelor from Bulgaria is equivalent to an Australian Bachelor Degree(CPA recognized my Bachelor and Master from Bulgaria) but I am not sure if the 9 courses should be taken as part of a degree that is completed or they could be completed individually.

Any help in getting more clarity on this matter is highly appreciated. I am ready to submit my application but I am afraid that if his assessment is not positive and meanwhile I got invited, I will be 5 points short and cancelling an EOI might have a negative effect on future applications.

Assume you mean you are wanting to use his skills assessment for partner points? In which case you must not lodge your EO claiming the partner points until you have it in the bag. As to whether he passes, I am not clear what a CGA is, but generally I would think it best to wait until he is fully qualified.

Thank you for the reply.

CGA is Certified General Accountant in Canada which is equivalent to CPA in Australia and ACCA in UK. I claim max points for IELTS, which expires Aug 2014 and was thinking of submitting as soon as possible because I do not know how long it will take, before I am invited with 60 points. Plus, with the new government ... who knows what they will change and when.

Levi, I researched both, and it turned out that ICAA will not accept statutory declaration in lieu of syllabus. Unfortunately, few universities in Bulgaria (especially 10 years ago) have such courses outline, which they will officially stamp and send to the assessing authority. Most outlines are prepared by the professors who teach the courses at that particular time and the universities do not keep them as official syllabus.

I had to prepare myself 40 pages of detailed outline for my bachelor and another one for my masters. It took a long time but it was worth it and my CPA assessment came back quickly and positive. They recognized my bachelor and CGA as 2 separate bachelor degrees and my master as master, all equivalent to their Australian degrees.

At the moment ,I am going through the same process for my husband and I hope his assessment will be positive as well as I need 5 points from him.

I was planning to get my skills assessed with ICAA (if it was so recommended), but that won't be happening, because I'm in the same position as you are/were. I live in Romania, and the situation is the same, if the professor provides a syllabus then it's better now, and if not then I can go fish :)) Great.

I will PM you now, I hope you will be kind enough and chat with me.

EDIT: Diana, could you bold the text where you wrote "ICAA will not accept statutory declaration in lieu of syllabus" ? Perhaps others will be reading this thread in the future and it will catch their eyes and help out.

Levi, I researched both, and it turned out that ICAA will not accept statutory declaration in lieu of syllabus. Unfortunately, few universities in Bulgaria (especially 10 years ago) have such courses outline, which they will officially stamp and send to the assessing authority. Most outlines are prepared by the professors who teach the courses at that particular time and the universities do not keep them as official syllabus.

I had to prepare myself 40 pages of detailed outline for my bachelor and another one for my masters. It took a long time but it was worth it and my CPA assessment came back quickly and positive. They recognized my bachelor and CGA as 2 separate bachelor degrees and my master as master, all equivalent to their Australian degrees.

At the moment ,I am going through the same process for my husband and I hope his assessment will be positive as well as I need 5 points from him.

CPA will take into account all the papers of CGA that have been cleared (done individually) but partial CGA cant be equivalent to bachelors. For you, as you said, the degree requirements will be fulfilled by your bachelors degree. So, its green signal for you all the way if the partial CGA and Bachelors in combination is fulfilling 9 out 12 subjects including 4 core areas.

Mirwais, although I should not get very excited until I get the response from CPA, I am really happy to hear such news!!! The documents arrived today in Melbourne and I will have the answer after a month or so. We decided to wait with the EOI until we get the assessment.

Thank you so much for the reply! Have you been in this situation?

Mirwais, although I should not get very excited until I get the response from CPA, I am really happy to hear such news!!! The documents arrived today in Melbourne and I will have the answer after a month or so. We decided to wait with the EOI until we get the assessment.

Thank you so much for the reply! Have you been in this situation?

No, but I have read on their website that students of professional accounting body not having completed professional qualification should only apply when they have a degree equivalent to Au Bachelors.. So its a clear cut message that they will consider the papers passed and degree will fulfill the degree requirement.

Secondly, when one receive negative assessment, he or she is advised to appear inthe required individual subjects only to fulfill the requirement for that subject.

This is what I understood as well but as it was not clear cut message, I was concerned that it might be an issue. Apart from that, it is very logical that they should not require the accounting designation to be completed as long as there is another degree. And to enroll as a CGA student (I presume it is the same for any other accounting designation), a bachelor degree is required.

Archived