Shipping a few boxes full... What to do? We are in Glasgow

LadyCroft

We have decided not to ship our furniture but to buy when we get a long term rental as all our stuff is needing replaced anyway and is worth less than the cost to ship it.

As a result we now have a load of bits n pieces we need to ship like tools, clothes, favourite toys etc so would likely have around 8 large packing boxes full. What is the best thing to do when getting these shipped as we want to ship them soon so they arrive not long after we do.

Does the shipping company come and pack the boxes even if it's not a full containers worth? Or do we pack the boxes and leave them open to be checked with an inventory we do ourselves?

Any help would be fab on this one.

Hi Ladycroft...we are just done the road in Greenock :D

We are going through the process of gathering quotations at the moment and its perfectly fine to ship as much or little as you want...just means you will have a sharred container, which you might wait a little longer for 12 - 16 weeks. Unless they have something waiting to go!

You can also to air shipment for about 250 a box!

Hope this helps a little x x

Hi! It's hard trying to decide what to get rid of isn't it? There is stuff we found in the loft that we had completely forgotten about but now I have seen it again I am getting all sentimental and wanting to keep loads!!! If we took it with us it would probs just end up at the back of the cupboard wherever we end up anyway ha ha!

Thanks for the info. Who are you using to ship your stuff? Are you sending some by air as well? We had looked at that website where you can send a suitcase full of clothes or whatever by air but it was pretty expensive. Suppose it depends on how quick you need your stuff I suppose. Will have to have a think...

People like Seven Seas are good for a couple of boxes. much cheaper than excess luggage and they get there quickly if using air freight.

If you need a shared container, check with the shipper how full the container is. I was lucky...I took 100sq ft of a shared container with Anglo Pacific and the container was put on a ship a few days later. It made it to Australia pretty much as fast as any shipment could. If I had missed that container and that ship I may have had to wait another month or more. I can't remember how much mine cost, GBP 6-700 ish maybe? Yes tehy will pack smaller loads for you if you ask (and pay) for it.

Have you looked at movecube?

http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/shipping/movecube

Then the costs :

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/154508-move-cube-anyone-used-3.html

As requested the cost for sending the MoveCube Door-to-Door service from Tamworth, UK to Perth, Australia is listed below:

a. Small MoveCube:

INTERNAL: Height 1.88m (74 inches); Width 1.11m (44 inches); Length 0.96m (38 inches) = 2m³ or 70 cubic feet or 15LBE

Price : £420.00 plus Destination Charges = AUD249.00

b. Medium MoveCube:

INTERNAL: Height 1.88m (74 inches); Width 1.45m (57 inches); Length 1.11m (43 inches) = 3m³ or 105 cubic feet or 23LBE

Price : £570.00 plus Destination Charges = AUD299.00

c. Large MoveCube:

INTERNAL: Height 1.88m (74 inches); Width 1.45m (57 inches); Length 2.27m (89 inches) = 6.20m³ or 218 cubic feet or 48LBE.

Price : £990.00 plus Destination Charges = AUD349.00

Our Prices Include:

• Customs and AQIS clearance (exclusive of any customs Tax and Duty or AQIS treatment charges if any)

• FREE Starter Pack: measuring tape (3m), tape dispenser (basic) with 1 roll of tape, knife, black pen

• FREE initial delivery of Starter Pack & other requested packing material including the loan of:

§ Arranging UK parking permits if the MoveCube is parked in the street

§ Traffic cones to mark off an area to park the MoveCube

§ A trolley to move your belongings from your address to the MoveCube

• FREE initial delivery & collection of the MoveCube from your UK address

• FREE initial delivery & collection of the MoveCube from your Australia address

• FREE pre-notified time slot for deliveries & collections, depending on area

• FREE storage for ONE MONTH prior to shipment overseas

• NO HIDDEN CHARGES guarantee at the destination, see below for details

• Price freeze GUARANTEE, if you place your order within 7 days of the date on this quote then from the date of your deposit being paid we will freeze the transportation and shipping rates for 60 days or until your shipment is collected and invoiced whichever is the earlier

• 3 weeks later...

Heya, I had the same dilemma myself, I shopped around before booking and ended up with Anglo Pacific. Can't recommend them enough really... I wasn't sure which size boxes I would need, and they sent a few sizes and the ones I didn't want got picked up with the full boxes. The quality of the boxes and packing materials was excellent too (I assumed they might be cheap, or poor quality and bought packing tape and bubblewrap). No real need, as they sent loads with my boxes and I only just a very small amount of what I had bought. Even when there were problems with the box delivery I got a phone call before the day was out to explain, apologise and get more information to help the driver and it was rearranged for the following day.

My boxes were picked up last week and Anglo were brilliant the whole way through. Obviously they have just begun there long journey and won't physically ship for another week or so.

We used Anglo Pacific as well to bring 5 tea chest size boxes over airfreight, deliver boxes to your door, pick them up again, took about 10 days to get to Australia, worked out around 100gbp per box. You can get quite a lot in one of those boxes, around 30kg

That's not what the BA representative said when we called, or what their website says.

World Traveller Eco (One-bag allowance)

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/extra-overweight-baggage

Here is what the site says, directly from your link....

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR=class: tableCellIlluminated, bgcolor: #3C78C7]

[TD]ravel class[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: center]Online in advance[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: center]At the airport[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: tableCellIlluminated, bgcolor: #3C78C7]

[TD=align: center]1st additional bag[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Other additional bag[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1st additional bag[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Other additional bag[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: tableSubHeading, bgcolor: #2E5C99]

[TD=colspan: 5]Economy[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: firstColumn]UK Domestic

Euro Traveller

(hand baggage only)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]£20/$30/€25[/TD]

[TD=align: center]£34/$51/€43[/TD]

[TD=align: center]£40/$60/€50[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: firstColumn]UK Domestic

Euro Traveller

(with inclusive allowance)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: firstColumn]World Traveller

Eco

(one-bag allowance)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]£55/$85/€64[/TD]

[TD=align: center]£120/$170/€128[/TD]

[TD=align: center]£65/$100/€75[/TD]

[TD=align: center]£140/$200/€150[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: firstColumn]World Traveller

Eco

(two-bag allowance)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: firstColumn, align: left]World Traveller on some routes*[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2]Advanced purchase not available[/TD]

[TD]$120[/TD]

[TD]$120[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: tableSubHeading, bgcolor: #2E5C99]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Its the last one here, World Traveler Eco - £55 if you purchase in advance, £65 at the airport....It use to be £34 but that was only if you purchased your ticket before June 2013.

The £34 is now for UK domestic...

We did purchase our tickets before June 2013. Either way, £55 is still a bargain.

Ahh, well that would make sense then. Agree 100% that £55 (even £65 at the airport) is a bargain considering that Qantas charge $210 per 5kg so a 23KG suitcase would cost and eye watering $1,050!!!

Archived