are more points beneficial?

Kooky

anyone know if having more points puts you at an advantage - are you more likely to be picked when submitting an EOI for the independent skills visa. I know you need 60 points but would someone with say 80 points be more guaranteed to be picked or does it not work like that? :confused:

DIAC selects subclass 189 applications periodically based on a cut off number of points for a given occupation - those with the highest number of points will be selected first.

Be very careful about being aggressive on the points claimed though. Although there is anecdotal evidence of some leniency being applied case officers are lawfully required to refuse an application where the points claimed in the EoI are not supported by documents lodged at visa application stage, with the resulting loss of the Visa Application Charge already paid to DIAC.

It is for this reason that some choose to instruct a migration agent: to confirm visa strategy and to ensure there is no over-egging of points claimed in the EoI, particularly in the context of skilled work experience and qualifications. The DIAC guidance in this area has improved somewhat since the EoI regime was introduced, but it is still not the clearest, which is hardly surprising given the technicalities involved.

Least risk is (as ever) a subclass 190 State Sponsored application when only 60 points need be claimed.

Best regards.

thanks for that maggie, i seem to be able to get 80-85 points - assuming the DIAC accepts these points do you know if i stand a better chance than if i just had the 60 needed to apply?

as Alan mentioned it before, we were advised not to be excessive on points at submission. We could claim 75 points but submission was with 70 even so it was for subclass 190 at the end (6 months priority processing vs. 12 months on SC 189)

Thanks everyone. That helps. We are using an agent. Just waiting for last statement of service from one of my employers to come through (they didn't write enough info despite me doing it for them - they only had to fill in blanks but they took info out like my salary!!).

Think agent seems pretty thorough And very experienced so I am going to submit whatever points he puts in for me.

Archived