Motorbikes what you need on the road

jpe123

Hey,

not sure if this is in the correct area but .... I'm coming to OZ next year on a WHV with my fiancee who will then be my wife ! and we are just going to see what happens I work as a Workshop controller for a Motorcycle shop so planning on getting a job in the same industry already made some good contacts.

any way my point for posting was to see what exactly is needed when having a vehicle in OZ I know insurance but do you need MOT and TAX ? How does it differ to the UK ?

Im looking at buying a cheap 2nd Gand motorcycle but just need to know what to look for in second hand ads.

cheers

Jusin

not sure about MOT, but you need rego, expect to pay alot, tax is part of the rego, or is the rego, in the rego is also some type of insurance, someone will come along and tell you what....

You need and ozzie worthy lid, so no use bringing your own with you....

best of luck

not sure about MOT, but you need rego, expect to pay alot, tax is part of the rego, or is the rego, in the rego is also some type of insurance, someone will come along and tell you what....

You need and ozzie worthy lid, so no use bringing your own with you....

best of luck

Thanks mate ill look into this ! I was thinking about brining my bike gear with me to save y money

Hi depending on what state you buy and register your bike you will need

Rego..... equivalent to the UK road tax Includes basic 3rd party insurance but that only covers injury to people and not damage to property, so it is advisable to take out insurance to cover everything else.

Road worthy certificate.... equivalent to MOT and depending on what State you are in the requirements vary. In QLD you need the certificate to register the vehicle and the seller should provide one. Then there is no annual test like the UK. In other states there is a requirement to get the bike tested every year.

Your costs and charges will vary depending on the State you decide to live in.

Rego..... equivalent to the UK road tax Includes basic 3rd party insurance but that only covers injury to people and not damage to property, so it is advisable to take out insurance to cover everything else.

Road worthy certificate.... equivalent to MOT and depending on what State you are in the requirements vary. In QLD you need the certificate to register the vehicle and the seller should provide one. Then there is no annual test like the UK. In other states there is a requirement to get the bike tested every year.

brilliant that really helps

justin

The one thing you need and not mentioned yet is 'Balls',,, big ones too,lol... We had road bikes for years in the UK and were your token sunday idiots,lol, but the UK isnt a patch on the roads here, you really do take your life in your own hands, a lot of car drivers leave a lot to be desired, hence we ditched Road Bikes and now stick to off road..

Cal x

Hya Mate,

I race Enduro and ride track days (soon to start club road racing too).

Owning a bike here is a bit of a shocker to be honest. My 02 R6 costs me $700 a year to tax - yes you read that right, $700 a year.

Costs another $500 to insure fully comp.

You have to remember - long gone are the Croc Dundee days of a 'fair go' country, it is now a lawyer owned and managed serfdom just like the UK / USA (Texas, WY, AZ etc accepted).

When you are riding you WILL have people who will;

a) Think they can beat you off the lights in a 02' v8 commodore

b) Try and block you when lane splitting

c) Tail gate so close that you can't see the front of the car in the mirrors (1x wrong move and you're dead)

d) Basically, do anything they can to ensure you don't come past

r

Cops WILL pull you over and bust you for doing 108kph in a 100.... That is not a word of a lie. Also, Cops will 'bait' riders in old WRX etc by tailgating you....... You drop it to get away = busted.

Horrible place to enjoy riding a bike on the road.

Dirt riding = epic

Track days = heaps of em and cheap. Just did one at the Island on Monday - most awesome thing I have ever done :-)

This is the best site for motorcycle sales.

http://www.bikesales.com.au/

You have to be brave to use a bike as a daily commuter in a city like Melbourne. Oz is a great place for riding once you get out of the cities. The Great Ocean Road is very popular as are the mountain roads in north east Victoria.. Avoid riding on country roads after dusk as Kangaroos and Wombats are nocturnal. My brother-in-law had a long stay in hospital after hitting a wombat.,

Hya Mate,

I race Enduro and ride track days (soon to start club road racing too).

Owning a bike here is a bit of a shocker to be honest. My 02 R6 costs me $700 a year to tax - yes you read that right, $700 a year.

Costs another $500 to insure fully comp.

You have to remember - long gone are the Croc Dundee days of a 'fair go' country, it is now a lawyer owned and managed serfdom just like the UK / USA (Texas, WY, AZ etc accepted).

When you are riding you WILL have people who will;

a) Think they can beat you off the lights in a 02' v8 commodore

b) Try and block you when lane splitting

c) Tail gate so close that you can't see the front of the car in the mirrors (1x wrong move and you're dead)

d) Basically, do anything they can to ensure you don't come past

r

Cops WILL pull you over and bust you for doing 108kph in a 100.... That is not a word of a lie. Also, Cops will 'bait' riders in old WRX etc by tailgating you....... You drop it to get away = busted.

Horrible place to enjoy riding a bike on the road.

Dirt riding = epic

Track days = heaps of em and cheap. Just did one at the Island on Monday - most awesome thing I have ever done :-)

Wow that ain't cheap but I was expecting a fair bit ! I the cops used to do those tricks in the UK a few years back but it has eased up thankfully

cheers

This is the best site for motorcycle sales.

http://www.bikesales.com.au/

You have to be brave to use a bike as a daily commuter in a city like Melbourne. Oz is a great place for riding once you get out of the cities. The Great Ocean Road is very popular as are the mountain roads in north east Victoria.. Avoid riding on country roads after dusk as Kangaroos and Wombats are nocturnal. My brother-in-law had a long stay in hospital after hitting a wombat.,

wombat ouch they are pretty sturdy must have been like hitting a fury boulder. Ill check that site out thanks

sydney is the plan.

thanks for the reply mate

The one thing you need and not mentioned yet is 'Balls',,, big ones too,lol... We had road bikes for years in the UK and were your token sunday idiots,lol, but the UK isnt a patch on the roads here, you really do take your life in your own hands, a lot of car drivers leave a lot to be desired, hence we ditched Road Bikes and now stick to off road..

Cal x

ive driven in OZ but never ridden and there driving is shocking hahaha however I am more natural on a bike hence my job :biggrin:

Archived