Living in a gated community on the Gold Coast

readstogo

Hello!

We've been looking at the rentals available in the Nerang/Ashmore area and I noticed quite a few are in gated communities. I have no personal experience of these as I never came across them while living in Adelaide. My mum sucked her teeth at the mention, telling me we might not be welcomed by the other residents as the inhabitants are mainly retired or childless adults. However, the properties are often marketed as 'family-friendly'.

We have 3 kids (10,5, & 3), and the older 2 are used to playing out with local kids as we are lucky to live where there are safe areas away from the roads. They don't fight, yell or swear at each other, in fact they are well-mannered. BUT they are kids, and like to kick a ball, ride bikes, laugh and generally be noisy in the way kids are.

Would love to hear anyone who has experiences of living in a gated community - whether or not they have kids!

Thanks!

Sorry I have no experience but we have been looking and worrying about the same thing. My husband likes the security idea of the gated communities and having someone else take care of the general upkeep of pools/gardens whilst we are settling in. He also thinks it will give us time to decide whether we would use a pool in the long run for when we move into something more permanent or buy our own home. Be interesting to see replies.

My friend who moved out to Ashmore when they first arrive lived in one of those gated accommodations, they lived therefor about 9 months. She never mentioned any problems living there, although her kids Are 12/13. They only moved because the property was a little small. I think you might be better in a gated secure place in those areas as it is a spit away from surfers and can be a little crime orientated. I have found Aussies to be very child friendly so I don't think you'll have too much problem.

From experience i would say it will depend on the actual complex.

Some have very tight rules and the kids cant even play in the streets on their bikes , where as others have been great ,had lots of family's in them and kids are happily accepted. The bonus is a lot have a gym, playground, pool etc so it is like having your own without the maintenance.

There are a lot around the Robina area that are nice size homes (similar to a standard 3 bed semi in the UK) and have child amenities on site.

Cal x

From experience i would say it will depend on the actual complex.

Some have very tight rules and the kids cant even play in the streets on their bikes , where as others have been great ,had lots of family's in them and kids are happily accepted. The bonus is a lot have a gym, playground, pool etc so it is like having your own without the maintenance.

There are a lot around the Robina area that are nice size homes (similar to a standard 3 bed semi in the UK) and have child amenities on site.

Cal x

Thanks! Will look for playgrounds and 'evidence' of children when we hit the ground!

Our house is on a gated community and its fine, although we don't have kids most in the area do and you see them playing around with no issues. There's also no through traffic. We didn't particularly look for gated but I have to say we like it now, regularly see security driving around which is good if you're going away, check the body corp rules as some can be quite strict, number of pets allowed, no caravans on the driveway etc, again we actually like this.

I'd be a bit careful about Nerang though, without wanting to offend anyone I believe it has higher than average crime for the area.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, we have been living in a gated complex on the Gold Coast for a year. I had no prior experience of this type of thing but am very happy here: we have use of a gym and large pool/spa pool which are always quiet even though lots of families live here. I feel 'safe', having been used to semi detached houses in UK. Its very sociable, particularly if you have kids, as you meet friends at the pool etc. I have lovely neighbours and if you have any complaints, the manager deals with it i.e. its not your problem. My kids aged 7 and 10 are very happy living here, the only downside for us is you can't have a pet although that can be true of any rental. Something worth mentioning is, ask other families who actually live there, what they think of the manager and the rules. Some places do have mainly older people and complain if kids stay inside all day or if they play out! If there are signs up saying kids can't ride their bikes, don't just ignore it and then moan if your kids can't ride their bikes like some people do. We live 5 minutes from a park so my kids ride their bikes there instead. On the whole, I would recommend this type of accommodation. Good luck with your decision.

Archived