which visa for nurse??

Guest Mel & Ed

Guest Mel & Ed

Hello

Im mel ,a nurse in london, hopefully migrating to Perth with my husband and sprogs. Im just in the process of validating my skills....but am wondering which visa is best and why,

General skilled migration or employer sponsored migration???

Why would i chose one over the other as i could go for either..??

Any info greatly appreciated..

Thanks

Mel

x

Guest sunflower

Hi Mel

I too am hoping to get to Perth next year. I was recommended to go via skilled migration visa. This was so I wasn't tied to one place, and in a hospital that has problems recruiting. Of course this makes sense from an employers/immigration point of view, but it depends why they are having problems recruiting. A friend advised me to do everything independantly, no agents etc. I guess it very much depends on your individual circumstances, finances and age factors.

Let me know how you get on. :)

Guest markyblueyes

hi folkes

im a paeds nurse and we are hoping to be in perth by the end of the year. we spent a while thinking about visa type, and definately the best option was the skilled independent 136, y? because you get know restrictions you can come and go as you please you are not tied to any state or hospital.

we looked at a sponsorship for 4yr commitment to hosp in sydney. seemed appealing could have been processed quickly but when we worked out the the financial side it was less favourable.

1. we would have paid a higher rate of tax as temp citizens.

2. we would have had to pay high school fees as temp citizens ($5000 per yr per child.

3. we would have needed additional health cover as we would not have got full medicare benefit like permanent citizens.

weighing all of that up you can see why the 136 independent suits us.

good luck with your chosen path, remember as you sart the application process photocopy everything at least twice. make sure every document is clearly certified, be methodical doting every i and x every t. then you will be fine

if you need any advice drop a line

mark

Guest Mel & Ed

Hi sunflower,

thanks for your many replies..

We dont want to be tied to anywhere, so i guess well go vie skilled indp as previously planned, and as we are so carefull with our hard earned dosh we are doing everything ourselves, i cant bare to part with money unless its vital..

Where in Perth are you going?? and when do you hope to go??

Im just in the process of validating my nursing quals any idea how long it takes once visa application is in??

Speak soon,

Regards

Melanie..

Guest Mel & Ed

Hi Mark thanks for your reply,

Do you know where in Perth you are going (and why)Do you have a job lined up??

How long has your visa taken etc..??Who did you get to do all your certified copies??

We would love any advise or info as we have no friends or family in Oz and so dont have any personal resourses..

Thanks So Much ..

Regards

Melanie.

Guest sunflower
Hi sunflower,

thanks for your many replies..

We dont want to be tied to anywhere, so i guess well go vie skilled indp as previously planned, and as we are so carefull with our hard earned dosh we are doing everything ourselves, i cant bare to part with money unless its vital..

Where in Perth are you going?? and when do you hope to go??

Im just in the process of validating my nursing quals any idea how long it takes once visa application is in??

Speak soon,

Regards

Melanie..

Hi Mel

I'm hoping to get to Perth next summer, not sure exactly where and when. Considered working in Perth city centre, so living not too far away. liked Fremantle. I'm making the most of earning pounds to pay off previous travel and save for this one! Need to rent out the house also.

Not entirely sure how long visa takes once everything is sent off, approx 3 months i think. Try looking at timeline web site for timescales of individual applications. http://www.austimeline.com/

bye for now :)

Guest Mel & Ed

Hi Sunflower,

Freemantle sounds like a great place.. Although dont know what hospitals are nearby.. I was thinking about the Royal Perth teaching hosp as i guess there would be a few jobs going there...Are you going alone?? The visa can take up to 12 months however they are pushing nursing ones forward, are you a nurse?? My friends visa only took 4 months however..Have you had your skills assessed yet>>?

Im still getting everything together to send for assessment which i believe you have to do before you send in visa application???

We too want to go next summer (june/july) weve got to sell this house and buy a flat to let out before we go (we live in Kent)..

Keep in touch, its good to meet someone in the same boat...

Regards

Melanie

melnic@ntlworld.com

Guest sunflower

Hi Mel,

Thanks for your address, your in my book :) Will definitely keep in touch, am going alone so its good to share this experience. I'm a nurse working in A&E. I have everything for the skills assessment, saw a solicitor this pm for documents to be certified. Now realised I need verification from NZ as I'm using my registration there for trans tasman agreement (for the modified assessment). So once I hear from them regarding payment etc then I can send my skills assessment form off. The form they return to you has to be sent off as evidence to the immigration dept for visa.

Didn't think the immigration part took that long :shock: Was hoping to be there before next winter... Iheard they might be fast tracking nurses.

Keep me posted

:D

Guest Mel & Ed

Hi Sunflower,

Thanks for you replies again,

Did you apply for state registration before skills assessment??

I got the impression that registration only lasts until your next birthday, hence you wouldnt need to do until visa well on its way..??

I thought i had everything under control but then something new pops up, that i hadnt thought about.

Hope all is ok with you

Regards,

Melanie..

Guest sunflower

Hi Melanie

I haven't applied for registration, only skills assessment to begin with, as I also gathered its best to apply for registration before your birthday. If your going through independant skills immigration 136 then I think its best to get skills assessment first.

I've just updated my NZ practise certificate only so I can use it for the application for skills assessment. The cheaper form A option.

Let me know how you get on?

• 2 weeks later...

My partner is a nurse ( operating theatre ) . We registered with the relavant nursing board for the state that we were moving to and then used a holiday visa ( yes i know its naughty ). Dont bring your CV on the plane in case Customs/immigration stops you LOL . I had a work visa anyway.

We tried using a nursing agent before we left the UK but they were really hopeless and couldnt find a job in Sydney ( what a joke).

When we arrived in Sydney every hospital we walked in to offered a sponsored work visa almost on the spot !!! Talk about a staff shortage .......

But it did take a couple of months to sort out the paper work, medicals, police checks etc and you are not allowed to work until you have your work visa. I wouldn't really recommend you do it this way unless you know there is a shortage in your particular nurse field.

I would have thought the easiest way to get a visa is via a partner visa, assuming your hubby has a 457 work visa. (Small print: if you are a same sex couple you cant get a de-facto work visa if your partner has a work visa but you can get it if your partner has a resident visa or citizenship and you have been living together for 2 years, go figure ...)

Guest Mel & Ed

Hi Sydney boy,

Thanks for post, I'm in the process of skills assessment so will apply for indip skills visa on which i believe ill get enough points to take over my hubby and kids on that visa ?? I would prefer to get a job for before we move as im the main income and need to feel a bit secure.Im a senior sister for Surgery and Orthopaedics, so hope i can find a similar post...

Any further advice, greatly appreciated

many thanks

Melanie..

Yes if you can start work immediately thats a good idea. You will get a support network quicker that way, as thats really important if you dont have family in Perth.

Having an indepedent visa means you are not tied to one Hospital.

We have lots of contacts in Sydney Hospitals but we dont know anyone in Perth, sorry.

Hi Guys :D

Immigration are stating that class 136 visa's for nurse's are being fast tracked due to the shortage and are giving a timeline guide of 4 months.

I have been provisionally offered a job in a private hospital on the Gold Coast but am a little unsure whether I am going to accept as I would prefer to live in a rural area so I can have land for my son and my dogs. This seems harder to come by in this area of Queensland for my meager budget as a single parent of a toddler!

I have a possiive skills assessment and I am just waiting for my agent to check My Visa Application to submit. They say I should have my Visa by February! :shock:

Hope the previous info helps.

Sharon

x

Guest Mel & Ed

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for that info.

Did you have any trouble getting your nurse training transcript for your skills assessment??Its all im waiting for but the school of nursing are taking forever and saying they cant locate one for when i trained.

Once sent off, how long did it take for your skills assessment to come back??

I cant apply for visa until i have skills assessment ok'd can I ??

Also have you registered as a nurse with your chosen state yet?? Any idea when i have to do this??

Any advice very very welcome..

Thanks

Melanie.

Hi Melanie

The ANMC state that a syllabus from the time of training is acceptable from the time of training sent direct from training organisation.

From receipt of payment ANMC state it should only take 2 days but you have to allow for verification from NMC and this should not be requested until ANMC have your file as it may be returned.

When they had everything it only took a few weeks and I applied through an agent.

You do need your skills assessment first as they supply you with a suitable for migration certificate.

I am still deciding on which state to apply for but the ANMC say they will forward all paperwork to the relevant authority. Or the NMC will not charge you again if requested within 3 months.

I hope this is helpful and if there is anymore I can do for you please do not hesitate to ask

Sharon

x

Hiya Melanie

Just had another thought! Check out doing a modified assessment. You gain registration in a state then apply for a modified assessment which is also cheaper? It has been a while since I researched this but it may be an option for you.

Sharon

x

Guest guest7744

Hi,

Can anyone help? I qualify as a Mental Health Nurse in March & want to go to Aus. Can I go as a skilled independent/Regional Sponsered? Or do I have to go on a working visa & wait a year? I don't really want to do the working visa option as I have a wife & 2 kids & it starts to get a bit costly(no family tax credits, 29% tax & paying for schooling!).

I have been speaking to a Australian Health Recruitment Agency, but not getting the info I need.

Thanks very much :roll:

Hi nemoinky

You should be able to travel as soon as you qualify hun. You may have to check which agencies and hospitals are taking graduate nurses. Depending on the visa you able for it may take up to 18 months from starting application to actually getting out there.

Hope this helps

SCoop

Guest angela bourne

Replying to Sharon and Ed and Mel,

Hi guys,

I'm a cardiothoracic ITU nurse here in the UK and have applied to emigrate to Adelaide. Our Visa application was sent 29th September 2005 and I found out that the DIMIA have got a huge backlog of applications and it would take 8 months to get our visa!!!! :cry:

I was wondering if they would fask track our application due to the nurse shortage and I just wanted to say thanks to Sharon for that information. I got so depressed at the thought of waiting that long but know I know they may fast track our visa it has put a smile on my face :D

To answer some of the questions by Mel and Ed:

My university dragged their heels with my transcript. Had to keep e-mailing them constantly. Started my skills assessment in January and it wasn't sent untill 5th august because I was waiting for others to complete things for me. Got it in the end though and I can't see why they are saying they can't send you a transcript??? If you have major problems and can't get one, our agent told us to approach the NMC for an outline of the course subjects you would have completed.

We passed our skills assessment on 7th September 2005 so you don't have to wait that long, the ANMC are pretty fast at processing them.

You can't apply for your visa untill your skills assessment has been passed.

As for registering in a state, I am going through that process now as I think it is valied for 2 years. You have to get the ANMC to send your file to the state you wish to register with so you will have to wait untill your skills assessment is passed before you can do this.

Hope that helps, sorry it went on a bit!!!!

Angela x

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Mel & Ed

Hi Angela,

Many thanks for all info.

I finally got transcript 2 weeks ago and sent everything off to ANMC..

So hoping to hear soon.

Im just confused about which visa to apply for now as i dont want to use an agent to help...Which visa have you applied for??Are you intending to find work when u get there or before??

Many, many thanks

Melanie..

Guest angela bourne

Hi Mel,

Ive applied for a skilled independent visa which is subclass 136. Im going out with my partner so the type of visa is also classed as de facto I think, don't know if this comes under a different number or not!

I'm applying for a job before I go as I will need to be working pretty much asap when we get over there

Good luck,

angela

• 2 years later...

Transcrpit whats this ? Im having major porobs with my PC it wont open up any pdf files, so struggling what to do here. Do I need to contact school of nursing for this transcript and do I need to downlaod a form to do this ?

Im not sure whether to go out on a 175 or a 457 any advice would be great

Archived