New in australia and missing uk so much :(

Sahara

I'm a Londoner living in Belfast, but could never compare my intended home of Melbourne or indeed anywhere in Australia with London, or anywhere else in the UK.

I think people moving to Oz should accept Australia for what it is. A completely different country. Once you do that, then you can start to love the place!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Melbourne is such a cracking city, but you can't compare it to London. Cities all have different personalities and you new to find a way to overcome your wanting to compare everything with the UK and appreciate Melbourne and indeed Australia for its own sake.

Join a club, make some friends, do some volunteering, you need to integrate yourself into society otherwise you will forever be on the edge!

Good luck!!

Ahhh the old I-don't-want-to-be-here-sh!ts.

Many a pom has suffered from this syndrome.

As soon as you start making friends you'll be fine. Much easier in Oz as everyone speaks English, and is more outgoing. In London sometimes I wonder what country I am in.

Good thing is you have done a matrix of the things you miss - first time I've heard someone say they miss the god-awful tube.

Now you need to work out what the substitute is in Oz.

2-3hr drive up or down the coast, ideal. Going through any UK or Euro airport is hell to me. After an hour in Stansted you need professional help and barbiturates.

Doesn't sound like you're one of those fish 'n chips poms who like 15 degrees and drizzle. Plenty of outdoors'y things to do in Oz.

Archived