UK Medical Requirements

CollegeGirl

Does the UK have the same kind of medical requirement Australia does, that people must pass in order to migrate? I'm not referring to communicable diseases, but other conditions that may simply be a cost issue. Does anyone know?

I don't think so as the processing times are quite short for entry. My uncle does a lot of immigration work, mainly for Pakistanis wanting to enter and I will ask him if you want me to?

Remember that we have the NHS in the UK and medical treatment is (mainly) free. However, if you have a limited leave visa, you will find it extremely hard to register with a GP and may end up just using the walk in centres. Referrals can't be done through a walk in centre and you would then to go privately. Also the cost of prescriptions is per item and some items are cheaper to buy OTC, then get px for.

Thanks for the answer. :) My fiance and I are just trying to figure out our options if my fiancee visa to Australia is denied on medical grounds. He loves Aus, and it's far and away where we'd like to be. He is so much happier there than he's ever been anywhere else, and I don't want to start our marriage with him leaving his dream and his great job. :( But if we did have to make other arrangements, I'm just trying to figure out where else we might want to (and be able to) go that wouldn't deny me for that same reason.

Both of us are much happier living abroad. I love my family, but I am so over how some of the voting US populace chooses to treat those who are gay, poor, racially or culturally different than they are, etc. etc. I understand that all countries have their own issues, but I think that after Australia, our cultural views are probably going to be most in line with life in the UK.

EDIT: Fortunately he has a pretty in-demand skillset and his current company has a location in London as well, so I don't think it would be out of reach for us in that regard.

Thanks for the answer. :) My fiance and I are just trying to figure out our options if my fiancee visa to Australia is denied on medical grounds. He loves Aus, and it's far and away where we'd like to be. He is so much happier there than he's ever been anywhere else, and I don't want to start our marriage with him leaving his dream and his great job. :( But if we did have to make other arrangements, I'm just trying to figure out where else we might want to (and be able to) go that wouldn't deny me for that same reason.

Both of us are much happier living abroad. I love my family, but I am so over how some of the voting US populace chooses to treat those who are gay, poor, racially or culturally different than they are, etc. etc. I understand that all countries have their own issues, but I think that after Australia, our cultural views are probably going to be most in line with life in the UK.

EDIT: Fortunately he has a pretty in-demand skillset and his current company has a location in London as well, so I don't think it would be out of reach for us in that regard.

Well, I'll give my uncle a ring over the weekend and ask him. I'm assuming you're a US citizen? I think it's a bit more complicated than just a straight forward yes or no but he did help a disabled girl come over for some medical treatment about 6 years ago, although this was from Pakistan and it wasn't a permanent visa, simply for treatment. I've no idea of the ins and outs of whether she paid or not though. I'll see what he says and mention that your partner's company has an office in London and that you are planning to get married.

EDIT: I did tell my aunt she should divorce him and find someone who can help my hubby get his visa into Aus but she just laughed!!! :wink:

Archived