Those who have moved back to the UK with teenagers

beanbear

Hi,

Well after some sleepless nights and much toing and froing, we have decided (my husband and I) that we will relocate to the UK when he has finished his masters next July. I think the kids will be fine with this and we will endeavour to get them into a really good school, so they can finish their education. My daughter is fourteen and will be fifteen by next July, so this would put her in the second year of GCSEs, without having done anything related! My son will be fine as he would start in year 9 and be a year ahead of choices. Whilst my daughter is a bright girl, who is in a SHIP program at her current school, I just wonder how hard it will be for her.

Both kids (having subtlely sounded them out!) seem happy with the idea of a move to the UK and I think that whilst they have enjoyed their time in Australia in every respect, they still miss our large extended family with cousins etc and in particular their grandparents.

Any advice very gratefully received.

I guess the best thing will be to discuss your daughter's education with your prospective school. They will be able to compare the curriculums and decide what the best way forward is. Kids are flexible though, as Jen85 says, so if your daughter is happy about returning, she will cope no problem. Good luck with your plans!

Thanks for the replies so far. The problem will be that we won't be able to approach a school until quite far into the process as we won't know where we're moving until OH gets a job. Am hoping to also hear from people whose kids have moved from the Aussie education system into GCSEs, so I can judge what is and isn't possible.

My daughter is feeling quite happy today as one of her two best friend's parents, who are Aussies, are talking about trying out the UK for a while as they fancy a change!! What a turn up.

Thanks for the replies so far. The problem will be that we won't be able to approach a school until quite far into the process as we won't know where we're moving until OH gets a job. Am hoping to also hear from people whose kids have moved from the Aussie education system into GCSEs, so I can judge what is and isn't possible.

My daughter is feeling quite happy today as one of her two best friend's parents, who are Aussies, are talking about trying out the UK for a while as they fancy a change!! What a turn up.

I am in exactly the same boat.....seriously thinking about taking my 15 year old back but they would be in the middle of their gcse's - really don't know what to do. I will post the question too but I do think a quick call to the school may be the go.

That's the biggest problem though, the fact that we won't know what schools to approach until my OH gets a job. Our biggest concern is that the kids get into a good school and can continue without too horrendous a disruption. I guess we will just have to take it as it comes.

Archived