Prepaid sim, new arrival on PR

permutation

We fly in Oz next week to activate our PR visas.

Which prepaid mobile cards we should go for so that is easy to activate them on spot?

I would personally go for Aldimobile but their activation process is online and requires type of documents that a newcomer may not have in Oz like driving license, medicare card, etc. We would only have our passports and grant printouts.

I read that for many people this is piece of cake, but I am worried by reading online that the process may not be straightforward.

Help is appreciated! smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen

If you go to a Virgin, Optus, Telstra shop they can get you set up and activate it for you there and then. Please note though when buying a prepaid sim you have to complete an application form and show ID, this is the same for everyone, citizens and visitors.

We fly in Oz next week to activate our PR visas.

Which prepaid mobile cards we should go for so that is easy to activate them on spot?

I would personally go for Aldimobile but their activation process is online and requires type of documents that a newcomer may not have in Oz like driving license, medicare card, etc. We would only have our passports and grant printouts.

I read that for many people this is piece of cake, but I am worried by reading online that the process may not be straightforward.

Help is appreciated! smile.gif

Also, as this is only your validation visit you may find that unless you keep topping up your SIM it will have expired by the time you move out here.

it seems if you plan on staying out in the middle of nowhere go for telstra as they have best coverage. if not go for any of the others (who tend for the most part to use the optus network of transmitters) as they are way cheaper.

we have sim only with vaya, and to begin with the customer service was appalling but we didn't mind so much as it was only $17 a month for unlimited (to our family with our usage). however lately they have got their act together & have been top notch, well worth a look.

• 2 weeks later...

Have used amaysim several times on trips down under. Was easy to set up and have kept it valid between trips by occasionally topping up another $10 (have set up credit card linked to it so can be done from anywhere via internet.) Then next time we go to Auss I use the credit on the account to by the $40 package or whatever the price is at the time. the package is unlimited calls etc and loads of data. Can tether laptop to it for internet access if needed. I still have the original SIM I got about 3 years ago..

Archived