greyhound from UK to Sydney - what to do?

julesb

I've been in western Sydney for 3 weeks and my partner has been here for 4 months. We are thinking of bringing our greyhound over but not sure where to start. Currently my parents are looking after him Does he need rabies injections? How long does the process take? We are weighing up the cost to see if it's worth it.

Any tips or advice welcome.

Thanks

I've been in western Sydney for 3 weeks and my partner has been here for 4 months. We are thinking of bringing our greyhound over but not sure where to start. Currently my parents are looking after him Does he need rabies injections? How long does the process take? We are weighing up the cost to see if it's worth it.

Any tips or advice welcome.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to to the forum!

Yes, under new rules rabies injections are needed along with the blood testing for rabies (and other tests are needed too). It's quite a lengthy process from start to finish so it's best to start asap. One of the biggest factors of cost is the size of him - the bigger pets are the more it'll cost and most of the cost will come from the airline ticket.

the best thing to do would be to have him measured - please follow the link for how to do this:

http://www.petairuk.com/quote/how-measure-your-dog.aspx

As it's quote a complicated process the best thing to is ask your family to measure - once we have the measurements we can provide you with an accurate quote and in that quote we can put all the information you need.

If you wouldn't mid filling out a quote form here:

http://www.petairuk.com/quote/get-quote.aspx

and then posting to say you've submitted your details, I'll make sure this is dealt with asap and then you'll know the cost and all the details to help you make a decision!

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

PetAir UK

Not sure what you mean by "if its worth it" but to start you would need to speak and get quotes from pet shipping companies in the UK.

Some will deal with the shipment only others will be able to do everything for you including the vet side of things if you Didnt want your parents to have the hassle. All this will cost though.

If you were to start the process now, but wanted your dog to spend the least amount of time possible in quarantine ie 30 days, then by the time the rabies was checked and rechecked it would work out that you would get your dog in about 9 months time.

A very very rough guess at cost for everything would be between four and five thousand pounds.

HTH

Hi,

HTH is right - best to get several quotes to compare - just be wary about what is and what isn't included. Pets to Australia have complicated vet work - we can basically do as much or as little as you like.

You'd need to rabies vaccinate your pet - then wait 2-3 weeks (at least) to draw the blood for the titre test (if you're thinking about shipping him back to the UK at some point then you must leave AT LEAST 30 CLEAR days between the jab and the blood draw). From the date of the blood draw, assuming we get the result we need then he can fly out 150 days after that, spending a further 30 in quarantine.

We look forward to hearing from you.

All the best.

• 2 months later...

Right - The quarantine has been reduced to 10 days for pets landing after 03rd February. There are a whole bunch of new rules, but the important bits are - it will be cheaper to fly your pets(less quarantine time and no £100 vet fees at the airport in UK), the pets will need to have the rabies blood sample 180 days before they fly (rather than current 150 days) - so you need to start preparing them at least 7 months before you want the pets to fly, the rabies blood sample is now valid for 24 months, so get it done nice and early.

This is great news for the pets and owners alike.

Check out these links:

http://www.petairuk.com/about-us/new...ArticleId=7323

http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/c...sked-questions

Archived