Getting a car in Canberra, tips welcome

Maggie2012

Hello all, since we are coming out to Canberra very soon, would you be able to recommend any car dealers or the way you buy cars? looking at Gumtree there are a lot of very old cars listed for a lot of money. Just seen a 98 Passat with 210K that sells for $5000 that can be had for £500 in the UK! Anyway to get a new car lease on arrival with UK credit history and bank statement? Rather pay 3-400 dollars for a new car, at least the logic seems that it is a better value to buy new in OZ?

Guest Ptp113
Hello all, since we are coming out to Canberra very soon, would you be able to recommend any car dealers or the way you buy cars? looking at Gumtree there are a lot of very old cars listed for a lot of money. Just seen a 98 Passat with 210K that sells for $5000 that can be had for £500 in the UK! Anyway to get a new car lease on arrival with UK credit history and bank statement? Rather pay 3-400 dollars for a new car, at least the logic seems that it is a better value to buy new in OZ?

3-400 dollars for a new car?

3-400 dollars for a new car?

Must be a lease LOL

in that case watch out for the new FBT arrangements.

there are loads of second hand dealers in Fyshwick including the auctions (Pickles???) where they sell ex fleet cars (govt usually) and also in Belconnen, Woden and Braddon. I got my Ford from John McGrath - they were pretty good. I can recommend Canberra Motor Works in Mitchell for ongoing maintenance - Ray is excellent.

but, bottom line, Canberra is very expensive for used cars - Australia as a whole has expensive second hand cars often with high miles

Must be a lease LOL

in that case watch out for the new FBT arrangements.

there are loads of second hand dealers in Fyshwick including the auctions (Pickles???) where they sell ex fleet cars (govt usually) and also in Belconnen, Woden and Braddon. I got my Ford from John McGrath - they were pretty good. I can recommend Canberra Motor Works in Mitchell for ongoing maintenance - Ray is excellent.

but, bottom line, Canberra is very expensive for used cars - Australia as a whole has expensive second hand cars often with high miles

Thank you and yes I was talking about a lease. Would it be better of if not easier to buy a car in Melbourne or Sydney and transfer it?

Thank you and yes I was talking about a lease. Would it be better of if not easier to buy a car in Melbourne or Sydney and transfer it?

...just thinking that the travel to either might be time consuming and prohibitive.

Canberra is more expensive, especially for higher end cars (of which there are relatively few) but if you just want something mid-range it's not too bad. I bought a 9-year old Astra from a dealership (House of Cars, Divine Ct, Phillip) for $5,000 when I arrived, having paid £1,800 in private sale for a very similar one but in poorer condition only a couple of years earlier in the UK. 27 months on it's still going strong and we're looking at selling it now for around $2,500-$3,000.

We also forked out $16,000 for a 9-year old Volvo XC-90 with 135,000km on the clock and I use it to go to Sydney most weeks that seems to be a fair buy too.

Guest Ptp113

No no no! The ACT has the best used cars in the country. No rust, the best roads etc and the toughest registry checks.

No no no! The ACT has the best used cars in the country. No rust, the best roads etc and the toughest registry checks.

And you have to go through all the palaver of registering it in ACT when you get it etc. I wouldn't bother getting one from interstate unless it was an absolute steal and even then you'd have to wonder why!

I am in this possition right now.

I had some money i could have got a banger.

To many people put me off with the fact it needs to pass a test when you buy it if its over 8 years old. And there is stuff like stamp duty to pay on the car.

I nearly shipped my mini cooper over to Australia but people told me it was not worth the hassle! Damn i wish i had not listened to them now. I got 6500 quid for a 08 mini which would be worth 21000+ here.

I like the look of the kia sportage and i think that i might get one of them. The price isnt bad for a new ish car and i think parts will be cheap to find here.

I am going to have a proper car search in fyshwick soon.

My bank (NAB) have asked for 2 pay slips for me to get a loan. I get paid weekly so thats not a problem.

I have tried to get credit and finance before i started work and thats a definite no! No matter what your British credit score is you wont get a loan here unless you have pay slips and a contract. I have been trying for 3 weeks!

No matter what your British credit score is you wont get a loan here unless you have pay slips and a contract. I have been trying for 3 weeks!

Why would this be a surprise? Your UK credit score is meaningless here. Sorry if that sounds grumpy, it really isn't meant to.

thank you for the tips. So far have not seen short term lease options and renting a car is..well, you might just buy one. We didn't know that cars over 8 years old need inspection. Any other pitfalls to look out for?

How easy it is to haggle the price off a car? In England that is not really a practice and I assume it is better if my hubby is doing the haggling?

I have been told that you defo need to haggle here.

I know its something which isnt done anymore in the UK even if you offer "cash"

I keep my eye on gumtree but i will defo be buying my first from a dealer until i have time to learn a bit more about private selling!

Someone send me this link about Stamp Duty.

http://www.revenue.act.gov.au/duties/motor_vehicles

http://www.revenue.act.gov.au/calculators/motor_vehicle_registration_duty_calculator

I have been told that you defo need to haggle here.

I know its something which isnt done anymore in the UK even if you offer "cash"

I keep my eye on gumtree but i will defo be buying my first from a dealer until i have time to learn a bit more about private selling!

thanks for that and I hope that you'll find a car soon. are you renting at the moment? Is there no way to go by without a car for a bit in Canberra? Getting confusing reports about the transport system.

thanks for that and I hope that you'll find a car soon. are you renting at the moment? Is there no way to go by without a car for a bit in Canberra? Getting confusing reports about the transport system.

I have been here nearly 4 weeks without a car!

I have used the bus sytem. I got a Mytrip card and put $50 on it! It works out miles cheaper then paying per trip as its probably about half the pirce with this card. They can be picked up almost anywhere. I got mine from a newsagent.

I have a google map app on my android phone (can be downloaded on apple) If i want a bus i put in the neaest bus station or select "my location" i then put where i want to go and it tells me which bus to get at which time.

The buses are not the best at weekend or after 6pm but i still manage.

I would prefer a car because i have not properly explored every part of canberra especially the outer areas but i can do that when i get a car.

I get a bus to work every day. They are always quicker then the times they quote as well.

Taxi is expensive though but i have had to use them a few times.

If you want a weekend to sydney you can get a coach for $15 from the centre of canberra and you get there in 3 hours ish.

Easy peasy.

Cant wait for a car though.

Great! I think we may need a car sooner or later because we are not walking into a job, at least nothing came across so far. We are staying at the Ibis hotel for a bit then we need to find something more permanent and our rental car is for 2 weeks only.

My hubby thinks he could explore Canberra on foot in 2-3 days. he thinks it is a small city, lol. Apparently not and you need a car for that. I was right, as always :-)

Guest Ptp113
Great! I think we may need a car sooner or later because we are not walking into a job, at least nothing came across so far. We are staying at the Ibis hotel for a bit then we need to find something more permanent and our rental car is for 2 weeks only.

My hubby thinks he could explore Canberra on foot in 2-3 days. he thinks it is a small city, lol. Apparently not and you need a car for that. I was right, as always :-)

The War Memorial alone takes 2-3 days. He has a LOT to learn................

LOL. You've got to laugh at that!!! It's a good 50km from top to bottom! And that doesn't even hit the side bits! You can trek up and down on Action but it'll take ages if you want to check out suburban centres. Bike is another way to go of course if you are fit. You do need a car in Canberra unless you live and work close to one of the major centres. Action is OK if you live close in but the more interchanges you need to negotiate for outer suburbs the slower it gets as outer suburb services aren't as frequent.

So it looks like that a somewhat decent car will set you back at least $8000. Would you rather buy from a dealer or from a private seller? And after buying the car, what one must do? Register it? any similarity to the UK process?

Personally, unless you are really car savvy, I'd go for a dealer (they have to warranty for a period) or if you go private then get it checked over by NRMA.

if you're canny you can get one with current rego - the seller needs to complete a section on the rego form to say they are selling it and you fill in your part of the same form to say you are buying it. Third party is included in rego in ACT but you'll want to get fully comp insurance - lots of options there so shop around and also look at he benefits of multi insurances with the same company (happy NRMA customer here). Road service is an extra - NRMA pretty much have the monopoly on that and if you plan on doing long trips I'd go for the premium cover (better towing and accommodation options)

oh, and stamp duty of course http://www.strattonfinance.com.au/car-finance/learn/articles/motor-vehicle-stamp-duty-guide.aspx#ACT

I am going to hopefully get a car this weekend.

I have a contract and 2 pay slips so hoping that NAB will lend me some money like they said they would.

I believe the finance rate is better with the dealers but i highly doubt they will give me a loan off 2 weekly payslips and a contract.

Fingers crossed i find a gem!

Guest Ptp113
I am going to hopefully get a car this weekend.

I have a contract and 2 pay slips so hoping that NAB will lend me some money like they said they would.

I believe the finance rate is better with the dealers but i highly doubt they will give me a loan off 2 weekly payslips and a contract.

Fingers crossed i find a gem!

PM me if you want a pre-purchase inspection? Mad if you don't get one if you buy privately or it's a 4WD

Archived