How does it work for lifetime medication in Oz?

Marksman

Hello,

My wife and I are in the process of our 189 visa application and I have just successfully completed the Technical Interview. All thats left now is a few dot and crosses then we will be lodging our application.

Now the next stage once the application is submitted are the medicals, which is fine. However my wife had her thyroid removed last year which was very successful and she is now in good health. However she is now on medication for life, more specifically hormone replacements, calcium tablets and vitamin D. How do we go about finding out about the medication she requires in Oz? We would need to probably arrange something before we go as it is critical for her body to function. I guess my main concerns are cost and availability. We have asked our local GP for advice but are getting very little cooperation.

Has anyone had to do anything similar with themselves or a partner?

Any input would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Mark.

Its no big deal, go to a Doc, tell him what dose of Thyroxine you need and he will give you a script, usually with a repeat, costs about $30 for 200 tablets. The vitamins you will just buy from the chemist or online whatever. You don't get it free here like you do in the UK. It is perfectly easy to live without a Thyroid as long as you take your thyroxine. I have done for years.

Same as AJ been on thyroxine for 20 yrs. of course in the UK it was free due to it being one of the very few medical conditions that attract free scripts for anything you need. Here in Oz it's easy to get a prescription, I brought a copy of my medical records with me. My GP did some blood tests just so he had Ozzy reference ranges. The big difference is that thyroxine over here has to be kept in the fridge and taken on an empty stomach. So my routine has changed overnight. I now take it fist thing in the morning as I wake as the rest of the time my stomach is rarely empty lol.. Your wife will be fine over here getting her meds, good luck.

Archived