Visa 186- will it remain valid if I leave oz for 1-2 years?

helent113

To be granted a visa for five years, you must have lived in Australia as a permanent resident for at least two of the last five years. Alternatively, if you do not meet this residence requirement but you can demonstrate substantial ties of benefit to Australia you may be eligible to be granted the visa for one year.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/155/how-the-visa-works.htm

2 out 5 years, unless you can show them (maybe you have home, some small business)

To be granted a visa for five years, you must have lived in Australia as a permanent resident for at least two of the last five years. Alternatively, if you do not meet this residence requirement but you can demonstrate substantial ties of benefit to Australia you may be eligible to be granted the visa for one year.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/155/how-the-visa-works.htm

2 out 5 years, unless you can show them (maybe you have home, some small business)

This only applies if the first five years of the 186 have passed.

This only applies if the first five years of the 186 have passed.

Iv only just been granted the visa. So peach I have to live here for five years before I'd be able to go and come back? I thought the same as the others as in as long as you live in oz for 2 out of the 5 pr visa years then I would be able to renew my pr visa. I'm not guna be leaving oz for another 12 months yet

Iv only just been granted the visa. So peach I have to live here for five years before I'd be able to go and come back? I thought the same as the others as in as long as you live in oz for 2 out of the 5 pr visa years then I would be able to renew my pr visa. I'm not guna be leaving oz for another 12 months yet

Yes you can extend the visa, as long you live in the OZ for total of 24 months.

My eldest brother is a PR. He got his PR on 2008 and stay till end of 2009, and then went for good to Indonesia to help family business.

On 2012, he come back to OZ for a week just to extend his visa.

He still able to extend his visa last year (2012) and get another 5 years extension up to 2017

Now he still in Indonesia, continue our family business.

I suggest to stay for straight 2 years, instead of few months oz and few months outside, since it will be hard to prove the local migration that you stay at minimum of 2 years. Hope that information is helpful to you.

Cheers

Your current visa is valid for five years from date of issue. You could leave oz on day two and as long as you come back BEFORE the five years runs out you are fine to stay living here. What zeroman is talking about is the return resident visa. This is a whole different visa to your 186 visa, and as long as you are back before the five years and are planning to stay, you don't need to worry about that visa.

Your plan to stay for a year, then leave for 1-2 years is fine.

Your current visa is valid for five years from date of issue. You could leave oz on day two and as long as you come back BEFORE the five years runs out you are fine to stay living here. What zeroman is talking about is the return resident visa. This is a whole different visa to your 186 visa, and as long as you are back before the five years and are planning to stay, you don't need to worry about that visa.

Your plan to stay for a year, then leave for 1-2 years is fine.

Thanks so much all of you, that's great :)

Archived