189 or 801?

jhiggi10

Hi All,

I've been in Melbourne on a 457 visa for just over a year and a half and I'm keen to apply for PR. I have also recently married an Australian citizen so it appears I have 2 routes to PR: skilled independant visa (189) or partner visa (801). The initial application fee for the 801 is higher ($4000 vs. $3000) but I understand the additional charges for language, skills assessment, etc. add up to $1000 or more so probably not much difference between the 2 routes overall.

Any thoughts on the quickest/easiest/cheapest option?

Thanks, James

Guest MigrateAustralia

Hi James,

A 189 will require a skills assessment which will take time and involve additional cost (depending on your occupation), but this route takes you directly to permanent residency, unlike the partner application which gives you a provisional visa for 2 years, when you apply for the permanent visa. So the two pathways are pretty different. You may also be eligible for an permanent employer sponsored visa.

All the best.

Regards,

Philip

I would go skilled indepenedent migration as that is a permanent visa. If you go down the 801 route you'd have to spend two years plus processing time on a temporary 820 visa - and if anything went wrong in your relationship (which I hope it wouldn't) you would be a phone call away from having your visa cancelled.

Archived