Maintenance Issue

MarkJP

Hey all.

Hoping you can help me with an issue we're having with our estate agent. 3 weeks ago our washing machine and dishwasher broke. We notified the estate agent the same day. After two weeks of trying to sort it out including them refusing to return our calls etc a guy eventually came and took them away to be fixed. Another week later (today) I got a call from him to say they're ready but there's an issue with the washing machine. He said he found a stocking inside the machine after opening it up which had clogged it. He said the estate agent told him that as this was a result of "user error" we would have to pay for it ourselves as it wasn't the landlord's responsibility.

Naturally I asked him were washing machines not designed to wash clothes and his response was that technically you should use a laundry bag for small items. In all my years of washing I've never used one and never had an issue. My thinking on this is that although laundry bags might be recommended, I don't think not using one is reckless and the machine was only around a year old. If the washing machine doesn't work without laundry bags then surely this should be provided? I will be refusing to pay for this and I'm just wondering do people think I'm in the right!?

Thanks!

That happened to me...I just paid it for an easy life n to get machine back but I see your point and agree with you..although i also think their is probably some small print somewhere that they will come up with regarding stockings! Good luck x

Yeah pretty strange that they both broke the same time but seems to have just been a coincidence. They don't look that new to me, I'd say 2/3 years old. It's like they're trying to say they're newer than they are to make it out as if we must have been doing something wrong to break them. They claim that they are just out of warranty...convenient. I'm going to call the estate agent tomorrow anyway to plead my case! Cheers for the replies.

Archived