457 to pr.

norah9

we are here on a 457 since the beginning of the yer. my husband is a medical doctor without australian exams and will be able to get registration after he has been here for one year. because he is already 48 we are wondering if we have to wit 2 years before we can apply for pr. also we have a boy who will be starting uni in a year and a half so want to avoid the huge international school fees. so my question is, how quickly can we apply for pr?? diac website has me frazzled. TIA

Hey,

Have you checked out the 189 independant skilled PR visa? - if you have 60 points and are on SOL then you can apply at any time, no need to wait.

I think there is a direct entry employer sponsored scheme too that is PR - maybe the 186?

Check out the skillselect section on the immi.gov.au website - the visa selection tool is actually quite useful too

Sure someone will be able to give you some more specific answers soon though!

Hi Norah9,

My hubby is also a medical Doctor and he concluded he got his gen Reg in Jan 2013 after 1yr on advanced standing/ limited reg. He switched jobs in April 2013 and his new employers nominated us for visa 186 Direct entry route in may 2013. So you don't have to wait 2 yrs. Your hubby should discuss with his employers. Mine did so even though he just turned 40, he presented it to the practice as his requirement.

hubby should get his registration in march 2014 and is also on the advanced standing\limited registration. we had planned on applying for the 186\187 through our sponsor. only problem is ny OH is not sure how much longer he can stick his present situation. not good. he has come close to handing in his resignation and the only reason he hasnt is that we are on a 457, im not working and we really like being in WA. he is short on points because of his age. so its either he puts up with the job or finds another sponsor.

The visa and license restriction can be overwhelming , especially when you are new here. But the feeling soon passes. I remember it was just same with us. We came over so my hubby could start his RMO job here in WA and 4 months into it he started applying to GP practices and got quite a number of offers. He accepted and signed a contract with one in July 2012, to start at the end of his RMO contract in march 2013. GP jobs are plenty and your hubby should not have any problems securing one, especially since his gen reg is going to come through routinely. In summary , your hubby is better off completing his present job to receive his gen reg but need to start looking for new employers who will nominate him for PR as soon as he starts with them next year. You should be fine.

Archived