Dishwasher Salt

Incata

Guest The Pom Queen

Metropolitan Supply Total Hardness (mg/L CaCO3) Source of Data

Melbourne 10-29 mg/L (City West Water, 2007)

Sydney 51-65 mg/L (Sydney Water 2005)

Brisbane 89-143 mg/L (BCC, 2008)

Adelaide 80-157 mg/L (SA Water, 2008)

Perth 38-200 mg/L (Water Corporation, 2009)

Based on the above I think we are all ok if we don't use it but you aren't wrong either if you do

Water hardness is rated as the amount of calcium carbonate in milligrams per litre of water (mg/L):

• Soft water has less than 60mg/L
  • Moderately hard water has 60-200mg/L
  • Hard water which may lead to some scaling has 200-500mg/L
  • Very hard water leading to severe scaling has more than 500mg/L

Only thing is, so far it seems like the only Dishwashers anyone has mentioned that even have the capacity to use salt are Miele. All the Aussie models I've seen so far don't have the compartments to put salt.

Agree with you. I've lived here for nearly 35 years, had five dishwashers in that time (Philips, ASKO, Dishlex, Fisher & Paykel and Bosch) and none of them have had anywhere to put any salt. I have only ever used ordinary dishwashing powder and occasionally rinse-aid in them and all of them worked just fine. I certainly don't buy (or need) expensive all-in-one tablets.

Update:

It's not on sale in any local Woolies or Coles.

I found it on sale in Harvey Normans and the local pool shop.

However, the Miele shop linked to in the thread is by far the cheapest price per Kg.

Haven't yet tried Kambos but I expect they will sell it as well.

Guest The Pom Queen
Update:

It's not on sale in any local Woolies or Coles.

I found it on sale in Harvey Normans and the local pool shop.

However, the Miele shop linked to in the thread is by far the cheapest price per Kg.

Haven't yet tried Kambos but I expect they will sell it as well.

Thanks for the update Incata we were looking at dishwashers the other day and a couple of brands say they need salt, think I will look for ones which don't

Thanks for the update Incata we were looking at dishwashers the other day and a couple of brands say they need salt, think I will look for ones which don't

I did see in the shops that some of the dishwasher tablets have salt in them, but they were quite a bit more expensive, so I think, like you, when we replace our dishwasher, we will buy one which does not need salt.

Guest Ptp113

Get a Miele when on sale. You'll be glad you did

Guest Ptp113
I did see in the shops that some of the dishwasher tablets have salt in them, but they were quite a bit more expensive, so I think, like you, when we replace our dishwasher, we will buy one which does not need salt.

They don't need salt, you just get a better result.