Electrical Qualification

Guest jasont

Guest jasont

Hi all

Me and the family will hopefully be emigrating next year using the wifes nursing qualification to get us to queensland. :D

I'm just about to start my C&G 2330 electrical Installation Part 2 and should finish it by the time were ready to go, but does anyone know if i'll be able to do something equivilant to Part 3 out in australia as we cant wait another year for me to do it here. thanks

Guest fatpom

Get good advice about this - from a very credible source.

Sparkies here are required to be licensed to work. The rules are very strict for compliance. The good news is that sparkies are quite thin on the ground at the moment & this is lifting salaries.

Guest jasont

thanks for the reply but i cant seem to find any decent advice about this. Ive been looking at queensland colleges/uni to see if any of them offer training courses but it seems at lot more complicated than over here.

I've been in the Communications Industry for 16 years but thought it was time to get a proper qualification!

Guest fatpom

It's the Dept of Fair Trading who issue electrical licenses (check out the web site). But, in all probability any official you contact will have little idea about UK training & quals is is likely to fob you off with the best advice they can think of with no come back.

Most Tafes (colleges) will have no clear understanding either (Uni's won't even care its a tradesman thing).

I did my restricted electrical here (in Aus) which licenses fitters, plumbers & technicians to disconnect/reconnect appliances for safe mechanical repair only. You have to jump through the right hoops to get it & its very prescriptive no exceptions, many fail to actually get the license including me (in my case because I changed jobs before completion of practical assessments).

The sticking point is usually lack of practical experience for example I work with a guy who has a BSc & MSc in electronics with twenty years of experience in working on medical MRI's in the USA but he can't get his license because he hasn't passed (or convinced them) the necessary practical criteria.

Sorry to sound a bit negative, it is possible to get an electrical license without completing an apprenticeship but its pretty hard.

Guest jasont

so what your saying is that its's better to get fully qualified here in the UK than to try and do half over here and try and continue it when we get to Oz.

Guest fatpom

Well, what I'm saying is its necesary to have the full facts before deciding (which I can't reliably give you). I know its a tricky issue, I don't know the full facts here (in Aus) & of course I don't know your situation. It's worth ensuring you get your license because its very good money for those who have a full electrical contractors license. Good luck.

Archived