visa activation question

audre

Hi all

One more question from me as you are such a helpful lot (thanks so much once again)!!

As I have read, we are given one year to activate our visa from the date of our police checks and medicals. So activating means entering the country. I will be given a temporary partner visa (most likely) which will be hopefully turned into permanent after 2 years.

My question is: after I activate the visa, are we obligated to live in Australia for 2 years (prior to me getting PR) or can we move around (my partner is an Australian citizen).

In the unlikely event that we get jobs in Asia for a year or so during this period, what happens to my temporary visa, is it cancelled or still ongoing? how would that work?

Thanks in advance! :cute:

The 2 year period starts from when you lodged the Temp visa application. For partner temp to PR visa - No you dont need to be in Australia to qualify for the 2nd stage - as long as you are still together with your partner.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf pg 37

many thanks lebourvellec! I was under the impression that once we get the visa approved (temporary partner) and migrate to australia, we are obligated to stay there for 2 years until I am able to apply for PR. I also though the condition is (apart from remaining in a de facto with him) to actually be and work in australia during that time (during the two years of my temporary visa)...

so say we go to australia activating my visa and then move to Thailand together to work, my temporary visa can still be turned into PR after 2 years, even though we are living in Thailand and not Australia?

I hope this makes sense!

thank you!

There is no condition for you to live or work in Australia after the visa is granted. As long as you validate the visa, you will be eligible for the 2nd stage PR 2 years from the date that you applied.

As stated in page 37 you can be onshore or offshore when the 2nd stage visa is approved, keep DIAC informed on where you are so you get the second stage forms which are usually sent out a couple of months before the 2 years period.

All you are required to do within the first 2 years (well, actually before the enter by date) is enter Australia and validate the visa. You don't need to live there. The 2 year probationary period is just to make sure you remain in the relationship with your partner, somewhere in the world!

All you are required to do within the first 2 years (well, actually before the enter by date) is enter Australia and validate the visa. You don't need to live there. The 2 year probationary period is just to make sure you remain in the relationship with your partner, somewhere in the world!

Thanks all! Really appreciate all the help and info! :notworthy:

Archived