Shipping giant dog breeds?

Snape

Hi :)

Curious to know roughly how much I'd be looking at to send my Newfoundland to Aus. I appreciate that it will vary depending on the level of service but it would be super helpful if you could give me a range. He weighs approx. 70kg.

Also, as he is a double coated breed, will he be comfortable flying or will his coat need to be clipped quite short?

Thanks in advance!

You'll need to get a quote from PetAir as they know, they are a great company and offer two levels of service, one where you just pay for flight and crate (and the other important stuff they do) and the other is where they do EVERYTHING for you including all vet stuff.

I would not get him clipped! It will not only possibly ruin his coat (as long coat cycles differently and if cut at the wrong time, it may not grow back), but you will be removing any form of insulation cooling system he has. By removing the hair layers he has no way to trap cool air to keep him cool. I wouldn't worry about hte plane being too warm anyway as they keep the pets in a special area that's the same temp as the cabin, so no worries anyway.

Hey Snape.

Roughly about £3000 plus £1000 for vet work and permits and then 30 days quarantine ($1305AUD) , so genuinely you are not going to have much change from £5000. All the prices are estimates and subject to any extras you may have, but at least it gives you a good idea.

The key thing to remember is that you need to do the rabies work 6-12 months before your dog goes, so early planning is the key.

Ref the clipping - if you can try and make sure your dog lands in the winter in Australia and i would deffo trim his fur down.

Anything else let us know

Bob

http://www.petairuk.com