Boat shipping

Guest Guest26110

Guest Guest26110

Hi has anyone shipped over a boat? I read that even if I fit the criteria for non payment of GST and import duty, I'll still have to pay a bond/security to the value of full gst and import duty, refundable after 2 years if I haven't sold the boat , this is turning into a beurocratic nightmare :goofy:

• 3 weeks later...

From UK to Australia? I would ask on the forums for Australian cruising - need to google, as I do not have the magzine reference for you. There has been a lot of hassle with Australians importing boats on return to Aussie waters. AFAIK, no-one has had a satisfactory response from the authorities, a lot left "grey" and GST will probably need to be paid in advance with no certainty of refund. But I would ask the online sailing groups as well. When you get a response, would you mind posting a summary here? Much appreciated.

Would it not work out a whole lot cheaper to buy one here instead??? Take a look on gumtree and price up!!! I did the same when looking at shipping the car, between the cost of shipping and import duty etc it worked out cheaper to sell there and buy here

Guest Guest26110
From UK to Australia? I would ask on the forums for Australian cruising - need to google, as I do not have the magzine reference for you. There has been a lot of hassle with Australians importing boats on return to Aussie waters. AFAIK, no-one has had a satisfactory response from the authorities, a lot left "grey" and GST will probably need to be paid in advance with no certainty of refund. But I would ask the online sailing groups as well. When you get a response, would you mind posting a summary here? Much appreciated.

Hi, i contacted customs in australia, they confirmed that a bond will need to be paid which will be refunded after 2 years as long as i am still in possession of the boat. Bond is the amount that would have been equivalent to gst and import tax.

Hi just shipped our boat over and used Iron Lady Imports to get the import permit, put boat in the container with our belongings which was easy and we used crown Relocations. we had excellent service in uk and here and would recommend them. if the boat is less than 7m long and 2.5m wide and you have owned it for more than 1 year it will be classed as a personal import so you wont have to pay any tax. waiting to hear from Alco to see if the hitch is Australian standards compliant then we have to have chains welded to either side of the hitch. We are in the state of Victoria other states may vary. if you need to know anything else please ask

Keith

Guest Guest26110
Hi just shipped our boat over and used Iron Lady Imports to get the import permit, put boat in the container with our belongings which was easy and we used crown Relocations. we had excellent service in uk and here and would recommend them. if the boat is less than 7m long and 2.5m wide and you have owned it for more than 1 year it will be classed as a personal import so you wont have to pay any tax. waiting to hear from Alco to see if the hitch is Australian standards compliant then we have to have chains welded to either side of the hitch. We are in the state of Victoria other states may vary. if you need to know anything else please ask

Keith

Many thanks Keith, I have received a quote from Crown. My only question is do you think you will have to pay a security equating to the boats Australian value and shipping cost (gst and import tax) refundable after 2 years. I've read this on the customs website, and I emailed them, yet still people tell me I won't have to pay the security, its a bit confusing.

What type of boat you got mate? Mines a warrior 165, my only real concern regarding modifications is the breaking system, I'm almost certain you'll have to change the coupling head, as the Aussies like there's stampted with the hitch weight on it for some reason so I've been told

Again many thanks Keith

Guest Guest26110
Hi lee only had to pay GST on the trailer and send a email to customs saying I will not sell the boat in the next two years. My boaters is a 6-5m humber dive pro.

Thanks Keith did you get a cleaning bill? All the shippers have told me this is inevitable, can I ask what you valued your trailer at I'm guessing mine isn't too dissimilar to yours, breaked, roller bunk, indespension

003.jpg

Thanks Keith did you get a cleaning bill? All the shippers have told me this is inevitable, can I ask what you valued your trailer at I'm guessing mine isn't too dissimilar to yours, breaked, roller bunk, indespension

Picked up boat last week. trailer was £2700 when new 16 months ago GST bill for trailer and 2007 Honda cr125 come to $1240 did not get a cleaning bill but I was expecting one. was told that AQIS come out three times to look at our belongings.

003.jpg

Archived