Rental Market in Melbourne

Aussie Hopeful

Hi all,

I have secured a job in Melbourne and will be moving out early August with my wife and 2 year old son from Perth. I need some advice on the current rental market in Melbourne. Our experience in Perth was horrific with 30+ families attending every viewing and then getting into a bidding war to secure the property. I was wondering if this is the case in Melbourne or is it relatively easy to secure a rental? We were planning to

get 2 weeks temp accommodation while we waited for our furniture and in that time secure a rental. Is this a realistic expectation? We are also considering trying to secure a rental whilst in WA and just spending a couple if days in a hotel when we first arrive and moving into the property with some basics while we wait for our furniture. Is this realistic?

would really appreciate some feedback from people who have recent first hand experience if the market or just a good bit if knowledge around it.

Thanks.

Its not like that at all, I have been to some open houses with only me there :). probably depends on where ur looking i guess but my experience so far is it all seems pretty relaxed, its a bit weird turning up at a viewing with others instead of a private viewing like UK tho

Some agents will give private viewings, it really depends on the agent.

Depends where you want to live as well, rent etc.

I would not rent until I was here in Victoria as the pictures on the web are often very different to the actual look of the rental.

We only looked at apartments in the city - but even then, we found it easy to get a place - even if there were lost looking.

I would assume houses in the suburbs would have less looking at them (though maybe fight more if it's a good property)

if all else fails, try living in the centre for ease of transport to the suburbs to look at all the places! And try out city life ;)

(There are young families and young kids in our apartment block, but I wouldn't think it's great for kids, though when very young, could work?)

We recently moved to Melbourne and rented a house in the suburbs. All private viewings, we managed 9 viewings, 2 applications and acceptance in 5 days. Agent was keen to get us in ASAP. It was only because we wanted to stay in the city for an extra week that it took us longer to move in.

Word from other landlords we know is that the Melbourne rental market is pretty flat.

Would echo the comment re seeing places first. When we first came out there was one place we were SURE would be the one. After viewings it didn't even make the top five...

We arrived 18 months ago with two labradors and found a rental within a fortnight so you should be just fine. I have a friend who has recently moved house and had no problem at all getting somewhere. The agent was sending her plenty of places to view and she ended up with a choice, as opposed to competing with dozens of other families to secure something. Sounds like you had a nightmare in Perth so hopefully things will work out better here!

We are also considering trying to secure a rental whilst in WA and just spending a couple if days in a hotel when we first arrive and moving into the property with some basics while we wait for our furniture. Is this realistic?

When we moved from Canberra to Melbourne we applied for a rental before we moved. The agent conditionally approved us, providing I flew out there to physically inspect the property. I viewed the place, signed the paperwork, and flew back to Canberra. A week later we moved to Melbourne. I know perth is a bit further, but you could potentially find a place to stay and be ready to move in straight away without having to spend time in a hotel.

Archived