what insurance to get for extras help

bwatt99

Hi there been here just over 4 weeks now still looking for work and not got around to getting private insurance,im not getting hospital cover at this time i have a year to decide on that before,i was gonna go for medibank extra 55,but looking through the policy its pretty low on dental etc,im not sure what things would come in usefull in that policy,dental for sure as i have a few filling that might break,have two crowns at front which might fall out some day and have a girls of 11 months,so dental would be top of the list,glasses my wife wears them and im getting older and im sure my eyes are not getting better and yes ambulance which we all need.

I hear that hbf is the one all recommend but when i look there seem to be all sorts of cover for all sorts of money approx the same and im very confused on which is best,im not looking to spend a great deal on this but maybe get the best rewards back on the policy or should i say my moneys worth if we needed to use anything.

Im not sure what im willing to pay on the policy yes the less the better but maye upto $95 or there about per month but would be good if much less,anyone help me out as its something we need to get asap and who knows whats around the corner

I am not sure that medical insurance makes any sense for "extras". If you lose a crown your dental cover is unlikely to pay for it anyway, when I looked into it, the limit was maybe $1,000 on dental costs but a crown (I needed one in my first year here) cost double that.

Also normally the basic is the hospital cover and then extras are added on from there, not the other way around, I am not saying that is not possible but certainly very unusual. As far as I can tell, medical / health insurance in Australia is pretty rubbish and I only have it for tax reasons and perhaps in case of needing more urgent treatment for a serious ailment (I hear queues are very long here), but for extras, I would consider self insuring (i.e. start a savings fund).

Archived