Recommendations in and around Sydney?

Counting Stars

Anyone got any recommendations for Bars/Restaurants? Places to go? so far we are seeing the Blue mountains, doing the Sydney Bridge walk, we have booked a car for 3 days to travel down to see Illawarra for one day, not sure what to do with the others, We are going in August. Thanks! Xxx

Anyone got any recommendations for Bars/Restaurants? Places to go? so far we are seeing the Blue mountains, doing the Sydney Bridge walk, we have booked a car for 3 days to travel down to see Illawarra for one day, not sure what to do with the others, We are going in August. Thanks! Xxx

Jump on a ferry from circular quay to manly. Also get the ferry from circular quay out to homebush or parramatta. Different way to see the city from the water.

Lunch at the opera bar is pretty cool, looking at the opera house and the arbour bridge.

Go to taronga zoo. The giraffes have one of the best views in the city.

when you go down to the Illawarra go down the coast road through the national park, pretty nice drive.

hi this is my first ever post as ive just joined, im a nurse and in full throw of permanent application to go to Sydney next year!

I visited Sydney over xmas n new year past, a few recommendations for you...

as already advised, I agree lunch at the opera house area overlooking the harbour to see the bridge etc is fab

ferry to manly beach, also good to get spruced up and have drinks at the bars at manly harbour, sundays are especially popular

visit the sky tower, we had evening meal up there, amazing views, must be done

visit the fish market, and eat there

ferry or water taxi over to watsons bay, great little beaches and view of Sydney

visit hyde park and the war memoriam

the botanical gardens near the opera house

palm beach where home and away is filmed is worth a day out

I recommend you invest in a Sydney or east coast book, I bought one from whsmiths and researched before we went, and couldn't have done without it

good luck hope you have a fab time

I lived in Milsons point for the first 6 weeks out here,

Its a 20 min walk over the bridge to the rocks and circular quay, lovely walk but expect to get lost when trying to find your way back, theres no sign posts and the stairs to the bridge are hidden in the back streets of the rocks lol

Ferry terminal is under the bridge or near as makes any difference, you can get a ferry to Circular quay then any where they go from there or over to Darling harbor (more to follow on that)

Metro station is on the Milsons point end of harbor bridge, Train through to the city stops, and any where in town easy peasy, plus if you go for a wonder and decide you've had enough you are never more than 5 min from a metro station so its a quick train ride back to the hotel :-)

Budget $45 per person per week for a "MY MULTI" its a go anywhere do anything public transport pass, unlimited bus,train,ferry for 7 days. Well worth the spend!!!

Darling harbor (said id get to that lol) I am a little biased about this one, just went totaly over budget on our rental to live here lol, there are upward of 80 bars and restaurants, Imax cinema (worlds biggest screen ive been told) Ferry bus and train all easy access, Whale watching, Sailing trips, Scuba and snorkeling you name it its here!!! Every Saturday 20:30 there is a firework display, ummmmmm ok so like i said, bit biased lol

Restaurants:- Good luck there are thousands in sydney but a few I have tried and liked...

Braza, Cockle bay (Darling harbor but 20m back from the water lol) All you can eat Brazilian BBQ, Enough said

360 bar and dining, Top of the "Sky tower" over Westfields shopping center, Gourmet food, great wine, and a view to die for!

The food market, Friday Saturday and Sunday in the Rocks, Good honest street venders! Kebabs, Pies, Corn on the cob (They are huge and taste amazing) chocolate covered strawberries the list goes on for ever, gotta try it!

I could list loads more but best bet is just to go explore and see what takes your fancy!!! Word of warning, there is nothing really in Milsons point, a few Thai places that are all worth a look, couple of convenience stores, a chemist and an off licence. Just hop on a train or ferry for the evenings! Ferries run till quite late and trains have about an hour and a half off between 04:30 and 05:30 but run every 10 mins other than that.

Archived