UK Dental Nurse WHV questions

flatpack

Hi Everyone

I'm posting this on behalf on some friends who are coming to diner later today, it would be nice if I have some useful information for them so it's over to you.

Their daughter, who is 23, is going to Oz in October on a WHV. She's flying into Cairnes and then making her way down the East coast to Sydney for NYE.

Once in Sydney she is planning to find work and this is where the questions start. In the UK she has recently qualified as a Dental Nurse and she would like to know if she would be able to work in Oz as a Dental Nurse? I'm of the thinking that she'd need to do some kind of assessment but I'm only guessing!

All is not lost if she can't as she's also a qualified hairdresser (she swapped careers as soon as she qualified) and with the cost of a hair-cut in Oz she should still earn plenty of $$$$'s

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi I'm a dental hygienist in the uk & hope to be out in oz by sept with my partners job. As far as I am aware you can basically work as a dental nurse without registering with the Australian dental council as there is no mandatory registration for dental assistants in oz. to register and work as a hygienist I've got to sit a 3hr written exam & complete a 5 day assessment so I may have to work as a dental nurse to begin with. In oz they are dental assistants not nurses but seem to carry out exactly the same role, after all teeth are teeth wherever you are!! I suggest she looks on seek for dental assistants. We've just come back from adelaide in may 13 & I must say there where plenty of job vacancies for dental assistants advertised.

Archived