Moved to Australia but still working for UK company - Tax?

camcc

Hi All,

I am both a British and Australian citizen. I left my UK job and moved permanently to Australia in April 2013. I intended to find a job here however another UK company approached me soon after arriving and offered me a deal I couldn't refuse to work for them (from home in Australia).

I invoice them every month and they pay me in Pounds, but I exchange and transfer this straight to my Australian bank account each month using Moneycorp.

So my question is, who do I pay tax to? UK or Australian government? Do I have to pay tax twice?

Regards, Chris.

you will pay more tax on top of Uk tax in Australia as the tax rate is a lot more here in Oz. are you going to continue to work in the UK but live in Oz? if so go and see an accountant, you can offset but it will still mean more tax here in Oz unless you earn peanuts and then there's no point in declaring anything .

If you were paying yourself from the UK in the last tax year and will then close everything down I would pay the UK tax and leave it and say nowt (dont bother complicating two returns especially when you just got here).

If you just moved here you are right at the end of an Ozzy tax year so you wont need to do much of a return anyway. what you earned in the UK was before you came here so has nowt to do with ozzy tax coffers.

Keep it simple

Archived