Plumbing work experience

anderson clan

Hi, another question, we have so many. Does anyone know how many years work experience after completion of apprenticeship I have to have done in order to proceed with TRA as a Gas Fitter or Vetassess as a General Plumber? We are not sure which route is the most beneficial to us, ie, helpful for getting a licence to work in oz.

If anyone can help with this we would be grateful.

Anderson Clan:unsure:

If you have the required 900 hours study with vocational qual, you will need 5 years of training and experience to qualify through TRA (4 years if you have formal apprenticeship papers).

For VETASSESS can be as little as 2 years experience and they will look at even less, for example if you had 2 years of full-time study and less than 2 years experience.

VETASSESS may be more advantageous with Registration when you get to Australia.

Regards

Hi, thanks for your reply to the question about my work experience. Sorry, im not the sharperst tool in the box, but when you said I need 4 years experience to apply to TRA, does that mean 4 years work experience after i had completed my apprenticeship?

Thanks again for any advice given, much appreciated.

Anderson clan

The four years is usually made up of the 4 year apprenticeship OR if a 3 year apprenticeship is served then would need one extra year experience to make up the 4 years. So if a formal 4 year apprenticeship is served, Pathway A can be met without any post apprenticeship experience.

Regards

Guest scot2oz

just reading your thread about which route you are going to take. i am totally confused my husband is also a plumber/ heating engineer and we cant decide to go with vetassess or tra. what is the differance and what didyou do. oh and my husband has 9 years experience including his training

laura

just reading your thread about which route you are going to take. i am totally confused my husband is also a plumber/ heating engineer and we cant decide to go with vetassess or tra. what is the differance and what didyou do. oh and my husband has 9 years experience including his training

laura

Your husband may have choice ofeither TRA or VETASSESS. If he has the 900 hours study with Formal qual plus formal or informal apprenticeship he could apply to TRA as Mechanical Services - would need to check that this trade description covers what he does. OR, if you prefer, or you think yo ucan not get through TRA, he can try the General Plumber through VETASSESS. I'd be going through TRA if at all possible.

Regards

hi scot2oz, we have decided to go with TRA instead of VETASSESS because i am a heating engineer and can apply on the skills list as a GASFITTER. We looked at vetassess as a general plumber and this involved me undertaking a 3 hour practical and theory exam purely on plumbing. The costs for this were significantly higher although, it meant you were given a provisional licence to work on arrival to oz. The TRA route is far cheaper and seems a lot simpler to us. This may be the quickest way for us to get to oz! Good luck with your application.

Anderson clan

Guest scot2oz

thanks for your response another quick question if you can help. are you intending on working as a plumber/gas fitter when you get to oz or does this application mean you can only work in gas fitting, obviously my husband has qualification for both but will they deem valid when we get to oz, where in renfrewshire are you from, we are in glasgow and are hoping to get to oz asap looking at gold coast area but if we find wages to be more elswhere then would concider a different area. where are yous hoping to head for.

Guest scot2oz

thanks for your reply i will look into the trade description now and see if that suits.tra defo sounds like the best option financialy as vetassess was comming out at around £1000 i know it means you are registered to work on arrival but surely it would cost less when you get there to go to the authorising body and register.

Guest mcooper746

hi just starting out so will be asking lots of questions

what is the difference between tra route and the vetassess route thanks martin

Hi again. I'm hoping to get work as a plumber/gasfitter when i get to oz. Not sure if applying as a gas fitter means you can only do gas work. Still applying through TRA but we'll have to find out for definate what this means for us.

We live in Johnstone (for our sins!!) hoping to head to sunny Queensland. Going to oz on holiday in April so we will have a good look around then. Cant wait!

Colin + Lorna

Archived