Job Dilemma - Opinions Please!

d4ddyc00l

I have accepted a job with Woolies in Bella Vista, Sydney, and am due to start on 1st July. They have been great throughout the process, and have helped wherever they could. They've even thrown in 2 weeks in an apartment despite the role not coming with relocation assistance. Only downer is that the salary is slightly lower than I wanted.

So this is the dilemma: -

I applied for a job with Coles in Melbourne before the Woolies job, and got through 2 interviews only to be told there was a recruitment freeze until the new financial year. They've now got back in touch, and I had a phone conversation with one of their recruitment people last night. She basically said that they definitely have a role for me, and she just needs to get me the best package, but she said she's pretty sure they can beat the Woolies offer. The difference would probably be an extra 21k but no bonus. Basically she was saying they could probably make up the bonus as standard salary.

So if they come back with the better offer do you think it would be the best thing to do? I'd feel really bad for messing Woolies around, but I need to do what's right for me and my family, and an extra 21k salary would make a BIG difference!

Also, we've now got our hearts set on Sydney, and not sure if we'd be missing out at all in Melbourne although I don't think so.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Just bemused as to why you're so concerned about messing an employer around - when you clearly have no qualms about messing around the state that gave you your visa in the first place.

And I'm bemused as to why you are passing your judgement on a situation when you don't know the details and its not really your business. Do you keep a record of who has what visa type for this purpose?

If anyone who's not feeling too judgemental would like to give me their opinion I'd really appreciate it.

Guest guest30085

State sponsorship is a moral obligation not a legal one. There are comments sometimes about possible ramifications for Citizenship but I'm not sure of the legalities of this. If its a choice between starving in your sponsoring state or being able to feed your family in another state, then I know which I would be doing. I have seen others contact their sponsoring state and explain the situation, that it is their preferred destination but a job offer has come up interstate but they would look to move to the sponsoring state in the future when an opportunity comes up, therefore fulfilling their (moral) obligation to the original state. Job wise, I would opt for what is best for your family at the time, there is quite a difference between the two salaries. Best of luck

And I'm bemused as to why you are passing your judgement on a situation when you don't know the details and its not really your business. Do you keep a record of who has what visa type for this purpose?

You had all your details in your sig line till you recently removed them.

As we all know it's only a moral obligation to honour the agreement you made with WA.

It's such a shame that someone else who would be happy to fulfil their commitment to live there has now been denied the chance.

You had all your details in your sig line till you recently removed them.

As we all know it's only a moral obligation to honour the agreement you made with WA.

It's such a shame that someone else who would be happy to fulfil their commitment to live there has now been denied the chance.

Seriously?

Please climb down from your high horse and leave this thread alone. You know how the saying goes, if you've got nothing nice to say......

Sure. I understand completely. It must be a bit embarrassing. :wink:

Honestly, what is your problem? Do you have nothing better to do with your time? It sounds like you're a bit of a curtain twitcher!!

Do you know what those creatures are called that hide under bridges?

Anyway, if it makes you feel like a better human being for commenting in such a way, then you go for it...

Just two points:

1. Take your decision on the basis of two clear written financial offers, not vague promises. And check the terms and conditions.

2. Some people here take moral obligations very seriously, no need to tell them to p*** off just because you disagree or there is some misunderstanding.

Good luck

Daddyc001 - Firstly congratulations on getting both jobs! I'm jealous and I think others may be too :biglaugh:...

Only you can judge the best way forward but if your heart is Sydney then I would go with it. Also the first offer is more firm that the second?

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Just two points:

1. Take your decision on the basis of two clear written financial offers, not vague promises. And check the terms and conditions.

2. Some people here take moral obligations very seriously, no need to tell them to p*** off just because you disagree or there is some misunderstanding.

Good luck

Thanks for your reply and good luck wishes.

​I have already signed a contract with one company, and I obviously realise that an offer isn't an offer until its in black and white.

Just wanted to clear up I wasn't telling anyone to p*** off. I was simply stating that when someone doesn't know the full details, why do they feel the need to give me their judgement. That's not what I was asking for. I have perfectly valid reasons for doing what I'm doing, but I don't need to share them with everyone on here.

All I asked for was people's advice, and most people are very happy to do this without sitting in judgement.

Thanks for your reply and good luck wishes.

​I have already signed a contract with one company, and I obviously realise that an offer isn't an offer until its in black and white.

Just wanted to clear up I wasn't telling anyone to p*** off. I was simply stating that when someone doesn't know the full details, why do they feel the need to give me their judgement. That's not what I was asking for. I have perfectly valid reasons for doing what I'm doing, but I don't need to share them with everyone on here.

All I asked for was people's advice, and most people are very happy to do this without sitting in judgement.

In comparison to Perth, Melbourne and Sydney are amazing and so I don't blame you for leaving Perth. Unfortunately, until you live somewhere you never know what its going to be like so fair play to you for making a positive move. Based on what you said, I would go with Sydney, especially if you already have your heart set on it, but either would be a winner. It sounds like Woollies want to look after you and thats normally a good sign too.

On the SS Visa argument, as I said above, you can never know what it will be like living somewhere until you have tried it and despite going somewhere with the best intentions, things change. It is a moral obligation, but the WA government state that you can apply to be released from your state sponsorship, giving you the freedom to move interstate and peace of mind with any future citizenship applications. We received confirmation today that we have been released from our 2 year agreement and will be moving East as soon as is humanly possible.

Good luck with the move

Archived