Hello again - still wanting to do this move!!!!

DeeDub

Im wanting to move to Sydney, Ive a brother that lives there and my sister is moving there later they were born there back in the 70s when I lived there.

Since I started posting here in 2008 the financial system crashed and I lost the lot.

I lost my job, my house, my partner in the 2 years that followed.

So here I am again slowly rebuilding my life and here's what's changed and still wanting to move to get a job in IT, most likely software development now.

I am 44 years old now.

I am currently doing a full time degree in computer science, first year completed.

I'm about to officially go bankrupt in a few months.

I am now married with a young daughter.

So my questions are this - am I still of age to proceed - I'm looking to move in around 3 years when my degree completes.

Will my bankruptcy affect me?

Will me degree absolve me from the ACT competency type documents that prove your experience that I was on track to do last time?

Guest guest30085

Hi DeeDub

Welcome back to PIO

I can't help with IT assessments sorry, but the age range has now increased to 49 but you don't get any points from 45 upwards. You could take the IELTS English Test for extra points, Although I'm not sure on whether the IT professions need post-qualification experience. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along.

Id just like to wish you well, it sounds as though you've had to face a lot of life's harsh lessons and its good to hear you have been able to rebuild and move on. All my best to you and yours, I hope you find a way :)

I am not clear if you have a visa or not, but assuming not, then you really need to get cracking with your application. To all intents and purposes it cuts off at 45, because it is nigh on impossible to pass the points test afterwards.

​Bankruptcy won't stop you per se, other than it is very expensive to move and you might not be able to manage it.

Sorry a bit rushed there.

No visa. I'm just trying to get back on track so that when I finish my degree, I'll be 47, I will be applying.

I'd like to go to OZ as that's where my brother is but if my age will be a barrier then I'll have to rethink my location.

Sorry a bit rushed there.

No visa. I'm just trying to get back on track so that when I finish my degree, I'll be 47, I will be applying.

I'd like to go to OZ as that's where my brother is but if my age will be a barrier then I'll have to rethink my location.

For any realistic chance of skilled migration, you should look to get the visa now. You don't have to move now, you can wait until you are ready and have five years. But to wait until you are 47 before applying probably is not going to work, as it is unlikely that you will pass skills assessment.

Also, dare I say it, the world is ageist. If I were you, I would be looking to go sooner rather than later, I am expecting things to get harder work wise once I tip 45 (in a couple of years for me).

Archived