Pre Paid Telstra .. can someone please give me a bit of advice .... thanks

Love Shoes

We both have pre paid with Telstra, both very happy, so not looking to leave provider, but we are a bit confused about the plans we are currently paying for ..... I tend to use my phone for more internet browsing than m OH, but saying that I don't do FB which I was told by a guy in Telstra uses up our browsing allowance (I let me DIL use my phone when we were away over Christmas and all my browsing credit was chewed up .... ) OK back on topic ..... I make a few calls, do quite a few texts, and as I said use browsing ..... so I pay $30 a month, which covers everything .... I have a high credit value showing now when I call the 100 no (balance no)

My OH is tempted not to top his up this week when it is due, is it true that he will lose all of his calling credit?

OH doesn't do much browsing, and is working all day so really doesn't use his phone then (apart from lunch time when he might call me)

Does anyone know if he goes to a $20 it will be fine for him, I.e., provide calls and texts, and some browsing ....

We have been into Telstra, and I am going in again today to see what sense I can get out of them, because the last time I asked the ? I was told that the $30 plan was the best.

They have also advised me to take out my sim when I board the plane out of OZ later in the year so that the wi fi doesn't connect to the internet and chew up my credit ..... do I have to take out the sim at that point or can I just turn off wi fi in settings? I would have thought turning off in settings would do the job.

We will be buying sim cards in the country we are travelling to and placing in our phones ..... does anyone / can anyone recommend a reliable and competitive and easy to use US based mobile phone company, as the sim OH bought last year, wanted a credit card to be registered to that sim/number which for pre paid seemed a bit odd and worrying .....

Thanks in advance peeps for any advice, sorry if this post is a bit long .... x x LS

I mean't to say that Telstra have told us that if we don't top up by the amount we are currently doing we will lose all of our credit saved up .. is this true as my OH is thinking of doing this tomorrow .....

Guest Ptp113
We both have pre paid with Telstra, both very happy, so not looking to leave provider, but we are a bit confused about the plans we are currently paying for ..... I tend to use my phone for more internet browsing than m OH, but saying that I don't do FB which I was told by a guy in Telstra uses up our browsing allowance (I let me DIL use my phone when we were away over Christmas and all my browsing credit was chewed up .... ) OK back on topic ..... I make a few calls, do quite a few texts, and as I said use browsing ..... so I pay $30 a month, which covers everything .... I have a high credit value showing now when I call the 100 no (balance no)

My OH is tempted not to top his up this week when it is due, is it true that he will lose all of his calling credit?

OH doesn't do much browsing, and is working all day so really doesn't use his phone then (apart from lunch time when he might call me)

Does anyone know if he goes to a $20 it will be fine for him, I.e., provide calls and texts, and some browsing ....

We have been into Telstra, and I am going in again today to see what sense I can get out of them, because the last time I asked the ? I was told that the $30 plan was the best.

They have also advised me to take out my sim when I board the plane out of OZ later in the year so that the wi fi doesn't connect to the internet and chew up my credit ..... do I have to take out the sim at that point or can I just turn off wi fi in settings? I would have thought turning off in settings would do the job.

We will be buying sim cards in the country we are travelling to and placing in our phones ..... does anyone / can anyone recommend a reliable and competitive and easy to use US based mobile phone company, as the sim OH bought last year, wanted a credit card to be registered to that sim/number which for pre paid seemed a bit odd and worrying .....

Thanks in advance peeps for any advice, sorry if this post is a bit long .... x x LS

Before you 'top up' do you have Onavo Extend app loaded? If not do it (free). Doubt you will need a top up afterwards.

Guest Ptp113
What is it Wendee, just going to have a look now, how does it work .. and is legal .... going now ... I will do it whilst I have my coffee .. thanks mate x x

of course it works and can't be on App Store if illegal. No #1 rated app for smartphone users

Just looked at it and downloaded the App, I haven't registered VPN yet ... am I correct in assuming it condenses our stuff, and tells us where we are wasting our date, and does it mean that if I go ahead and get the VPN number sorted out, I can go down to a cheaper tariff, and it won't affect my Telstra account, i.e., mess everything up, also can I stop it if it doesn't work, as some reviews have said it isn't working for them .. thanks mate x x LS

Guest Ptp113
Just looked at it and downloaded the App, I haven't registered VPN yet ... am I correct in assuming it condenses our stuff, and tells us where we are wasting our date, and does it mean that if I go ahead and get the VPN number sorted out, I can go down to a cheaper tariff, and it won't affect my Telstra account, i.e., mess everything up, also can I stop it if it doesn't work, as some reviews have said it isn't working for them .. thanks mate x x LS

Dont know anything about VPN number, we just downloaded it on all three of our iPhones many months back and it sets itself up. Saves bandwidth therefore money. I was constantly over limit, now I don't get close. Onavo Count free app gives detailed info on what's going on. O E is my only 'must have' app

Archived