ATAR conversion to UK equivalent?

Jane66

We are planning on going back to UK once our son has finished his ATAR (end of 2014). Has anyone gone back to the UK with their child and converted an ATAR/TEE to UK equivalent? Were there any problems? I've tried to do a bit of research, but I can only see that it's converted back to A Level equivalents - what about GCSE's? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :biggrin:

If he is going to use his score/results for entry to Uni in the UK, have you also checked into the regulations regarding the length of time you need to have lived in the country prior to admission, so as not to be counted as an International Student in terms of tuition fees etc?

Hi Diane, no he's not going to be going to university as he will be treated as an overseas student which means massive fees (even though he was born in UK) so uni is not an option for him. Just need to find out about the conversion of what he gains here to UK equivalent.

When my daughter got her Year 12 results, as well as converting them into an overall ATAR score, she also got grades in the A, B, C format for each subject, so I reckon those would be the equivalent of UK A level grades: It probably varies from state to state, but in South Australia the Year 12 exams/courses are called SACE II, and the courses in Year 11 are SACE I - although the only exams then are internal ones - which I guess would more closely approximate to GCSEs. It's a pain about the international fees isn't it? We found the same thing. I wonder if contacting one of the sixth form colleges (do they still have those?) or Unis in England would get you a definitive equivalent?

When my daughter got her Year 12 results, as well as converting them into an overall ATAR score, she also got grades in the A, B, C format for each subject, so I reckon those would be the equivalent of UK A level grades: It probably varies from state to state, but in South Australia the Year 12 exams/courses are called SACE II, and the courses in Year 11 are SACE I - although the only exams then are internal ones - which I guess would more closely approximate to GCSEs. It's a pain about the international fees isn't it? We found the same thing. I wonder if contacting one of the sixth form colleges (do they still have those?) or Unis in England would get you a definitive equivalent?

Thanks Diane. I may contact a sixth form college (or equivalent) and see if they can shed any light on it. It is a pain about the international fees, it should be that if you were born there then you are entitled to home fees, we did live and work in the UK for 30 years so it's not like we've not contributed. Would be good if we could get his ATAR converted to both GCSE's and A Levels. Thanks :biggrin:

Thanks Diane. I may contact a sixth form college (or equivalent) and see if they can shed any light on it. It is a pain about the international fees, it should be that if you were born there then you are entitled to home fees, we did live and work in the UK for 30 years so it's not like we've not contributed. Would be good if we could get his ATAR converted to both GCSE's and A Levels. Thanks :biggrin:

The only tables I have seen have given an A level equivalent, not GCSE. That may have to be enough. There are returnees who have managed to circumvent the overseas student fees somehow but I don't know how they have done it but it might be easier if you haven't been away long, kept your home etc.

Archived