Buying a car when we arrive.

d4ddyc00l

Guest chris955
Great info northshorepom - so if a car has rego does that automatically mean it must have roadworthy?

​In NSW I THINK you need a roadworthy test every 2 years. It is (obviously) different in every State.

Ok we arrived nov 11 similar position couldn't find what we wanted second hand so we managed to get a brand new focus from Titan ford I had contract of employment and put a 10% deposit down. Finance was 10% not the cheapest but certainly not the dearest. All we had to show other than contract was aus driving licence prof of residency and lease agreement.

Thanks for the info. So really I'm going to need to get a house rental sorted before I can buy a car on credit? Once you have bought the car, how long befor you get it? Just trying to work out how long I'll need a rental car for.

Right then! Just had a conversation with my wife and told her what you've all said about not getting anything decent within this budget.

So we're now thinking about maybe a new or nearly new car on finance with a deposit.

Firstly, do you think we'll be able to do this as soon as we get there? I'll have my proof of employment in the form of my contract, and I'll obviously be able to put a deposit down. Just thinking that if this is possible it may save us money in the long run, as we'll not constantly be forking out for repairs, maintenance etc with a newer car.

Thanks for all your help!

hi,

roadworthy cert is needed on all used cars..only lasts 3 months tho. when a person sells a car they must have the road worthy done, if not dont touch it, it is like an mot

all dealers should have it done, again do not touch it if it hasnt, unless you are good at taking risks

we tried buying a new car when we arrived, but credit company wanted copies of payslips (x3) so thats 6 weeks worth as you get paid every fortnight here. i wouldnt risk an application as if declined will affect your credit rating here, so direct effect if you want to buy other goods or a house.

be partient and wait till you get here

i would recommend fully comp insurance and break down cover we used BUDGET seem to be cheapest for us

hope this helps, its damn confusing weve been here 6 months and still finding out new stuff everyday

A roadworthy certificate must be supplied by the seller of the vehicle. In Victoria there are no annual roadworthy checks, but the police often carry one out during random stops, so can order one to be carried out if they find defects. You then have to present that at the police station within X amount of days.

I would suggest that you get an independent check carried out on the vehicle if buying 2nd hand, prior to purchase, by the RACV if in Victoria, or the NRMA if in NSW, or the motoring organisation in whatever state you are going to. It costs, (Maybe $100 or so) but can save you heaps and a lot of heartache in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a thread that interests us as well. Still searching for an answer, but:

can you actually buy a car with a UK license?

We heard of a friend from Germany, who went to OZ for 2 months: he landed and bought a campervan, which he sold before departure. So it seems like there is a way to buy a car to hold an OZ license, or was that just a story from his part?

This is a thread that interests us as well. Still searching for an answer, but:

can you actually buy a car with a UK license?

Yes

I don't have an Oz (or in my case NSW as licensing is state specific) licence, I drive on my UK licence.

Buying a car, no issue. Without a NSW licence I can't use all the linked database within the RTA services, so some things I can't do online and have to go to the motor registry (like sorting out any issues with my e-toll tags). But this isn't a problem

Yes

I don't have an Oz (or in my case NSW as licensing is state specific) licence, I drive on my UK licence.

Buying a car, no issue. Without a NSW licence I can't use all the linked database within the RTA services, so some things I can't do online and have to go to the motor registry (like sorting out any issues with my e-toll tags). But this isn't a problem

Thanks for that. I am glad it is not an issue. We'd probably need a car before we'd settle in or where. So rather than pay hundreds for car rental might just put that into a car that we'd need anyway.

Careful

You do need to register a car to an address. The licence isn't the important bit

When we arrived we had 4 weeks in a short stay rental whilst looking for somewhere to live. Bought a car on day 4 (ish) and registered it to the temporary address. I can't remember what proof of address I needed to do that, I think I had my bank registered to that address and that was enough

Then advised the RTA of my new address when we found a house and moved into it

Yes

Don't you find it a pain in the arse with 100 points of ID without a NSW licence? I know it's not every day but I still get shocked how often I'm asked for ID. Today was for posting a slightly larger than normal letter to the UK.

Not really, no

Can't remember the last time I had to prove ID. I just use my passport if I really need. The only time I think I *should* have had to prove ID in the past 6 months was when I rented a carpet cleaner from Bunnings. But they didn't seem to give a toss and were quite happy to take my credit card, a utility bill and my UK licence as adequate

It's worth it to me not to get a NSW licence because

a) I don't have to pay, or pay to renew it

b) I can't get demerit points

c) It gives me a tiny victory in the war against The Man

Set against that, the small increase in convenience of having one just isn't worth it

Living in Sweden for 3 years was enough to set my teeth against unnecessary identity legislation/custom & practice. It always falls into the sledgehammer/nut box, and also penalises and makes the ordinary life of everyday people more of a pain in the arse whilst completely failing to do anything to address the people it is purportedly aimed at (criminals, fraudsters, illegal immigrants etc etc - none of whom are ever stopped by it)

Not really, no

Can't remember the last time I had to prove ID. I just use my passport if I really need. The only time I think I *should* have had to prove ID in the past 6 months was when I rented a carpet cleaner from Bunnings. But they didn't seem to give a toss and were quite happy to take my credit card, a utility bill and my UK licence as adequate

It's worth it to me not to get a NSW licence because

a) I don't have to pay, or pay to renew it

b) I can't get demerit points

c) It gives me a tiny victory in the war against The Man

Set against that, the small increase in convenience of having one just isn't worth it

Living in Sweden for 3 years was enough to set my teeth against unnecessary identity legislation/custom & practice. It always falls into the sledgehammer/nut box, and also penalises and makes the ordinary life of everyday people more of a pain in the arse whilst completely failing to do anything to address the people it is purportedly aimed at (criminals, fraudsters, illegal immigrants etc etc - none of whom are ever stopped by it)

Oh, I agree with you. I need one (PR) but have been shocked by the "need for ID" and need for "witnessed by a JP" crap. I suppose it's because we've moved around a lot and changed jobs, schools, houses etc. so much. Once we settle down hopefully I won't notice it.

The kids even need birth certificates for sports clubs!!

Careful You do need to register a car to an address. The licence isn't the important bit When we arrived we had 4 weeks in a short stay rental whilst looking for somewhere to live. Bought a car on day 4 (ish) and registered it to the temporary address. I can't remember what proof of address I needed to do that, I think I had my bank registered to that address and that was enough Then advised the RTA of my new address when we found a house and moved into it

Well, we are planing to rent very short term first 10 days or so and secure withing those ten days something longer term. We have looked and the cheapest Motel is £65 a night and that is just a lot of money for let say a month. So, if there is 14 days to register the car, that should be okay. Worst come to worse we'll use a temporary address as did you.

Oh, I agree with you. I need one (PR) but have been shocked by the "need for ID" and need for "witnessed by a JP" crap. I suppose it's because we've moved around a lot and changed jobs, schools, houses etc. so much. Once we settle down hopefully I won't notice it. The kids even need birth certificates for sports clubs!!

Interesting argument. However, don't you get the UK license back when you apply for an OZ one? In certain situations you could just use the UK one. I do not know which is better but it could be a PIA if you are asked for ID so many times.

Archived