Bribane or Adelaide - which suburbs are nice?

Guest Ben and Toni off to Oz

Hello, This is my first thread so please bear with me if I get any of the 'ettiquette' wrong! I'm not really that good with computer stuff, bit of a techno-phobe!

We are coming to Oz on 457 visa with the intention of trying it out before applying to stay permanently. we have a 2yr old and so my husband is coming out on his own in March to do a 'reccie', without us (can't face too many 24hr flights with a toddler!).

We are trying to decide between Brisbane and Adelaide. I really need help as to which suburbs to look at in both areas so that my husband can take a good look around when he comes out.

We want a family-oriented area with parks and amenities that are less than 30 minutes from the CBD and where rentals are no more than 500 dollars per week for a family home........ which suburbs do we need to be looking at???????

Thank you so much in advance to whoever responds!

Toni x:huh:

Can't really say much for Adelaide, been there a few times, stayed there for 3 months with work many years back..best thing about it is the road out..interesting place though.

Brisbane..nice suburbs that will fit your criteria - look towards the north side of Brisbane at suburbs such as: Clayfield, Hendra, Nundah, Toombul, Northgate, Wavell Heights, Chermside and so on. That is where I would live.

On the east side, Cannon Hill, Carina, Camp Hill..Both good areas which are fairly close to the CBD, all have major shopping centres, Westfield Chermsiee Park and Westfields Carindale.

Guest Libby1971

Hi

Well I can comment on Adelaide!

Nearly every suburb will have something that is within your budget. We had an older style 4 bed bungalow (nearly everything is a bungalow) in Sheidow Park (approx 25 mins from CBD outside of rush hour) for $290 a week. Some good friends of ours have a new build 4 bed bungalow which I think is costing them $350 a week. Maybe a bit more but def less than $500.

Primary schools are all about, very close to each other and there are lots of play areas. You are no more than 15 mins from the beach in the southern suburbs adn probably not much more to the north.

Suburbs to search on might be Onkaparinga Hills, Woodcroft, Hallett Cove, Aberfoyle Park, Happy Valley, Old Reynella, Reynella East, Sheidow Park, Trott Park, Marino, Brighton, Glenelg, Somerton Park. These are all southern suburbs and there are lots more to choose from, just the ones from the top of my head.

To the north, my geography fails me (totally flunked it at school) but Port Adelaide, North Haven, Mawson Lakes are the only ones I can remember. There are others like Golden Grove, Semaphore etc but I have no idea how close to the city they are.

Sorry.

We went to Brisbane in 2206 and for us, it felt a little too much like a city and not a family place. We much prefer Adelaide but we are country folk from the UK.

Libby

Thank you so much for the pointers - at least i can get on with some real-estate/suburbs research now!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sacha007
Hello, This is my first thread so please bear with me if I get any of the 'ettiquette' wrong! I'm not really that good with computer stuff, bit of a techno-phobe!

We are coming to Oz on 457 visa with the intention of trying it out before applying to stay permanently. we have a 2yr old and so my husband is coming out on his own in March to do a 'reccie', without us (can't face too many 24hr flights with a toddler!).

We are trying to decide between Brisbane and Adelaide. I really need help as to which suburbs to look at in both areas so that my husband can take a good look around when he comes out.

We want a family-oriented area with parks and amenities that are less than 30 minutes from the CBD and where rentals are no more than 500 dollars per week for a family home........ which suburbs do we need to be looking at???????

Thank you so much in advance to whoever responds!

Toni x:huh:

have a look at redcliffe in Brisbane - its a bayside 30 mins from the CBD and 20 mins from the airport. recently friends from the UK have booked at Chelsand Cottage (you will have to google) and negotiated a rate to stay for 3 weeks while they where in brisbane they want to live when they migrate. hope this helps... sacha

Archived