• 2 weeks later...

I will PM you ( if i can figure out how) a Mortgage broker I highly recommend in the UK. not sure if she will be able to help you but a quick email may be the way forward.

I was a property manager back home ( Australia) and will be returning to this in May when I arrive. I have a rental property in the UK and I personally would not recommend rental properties for investments in the UK due to the silly laws unless you have good insurance. A friend of mine has had her tenant not pay rent for the past 2 years, she has been to court 3 times an each time the Judge has refused to evict the non paying tenant as he would become homeless. I also needed to take my last tenant to court to have the deposit after he left and the judge did not award cleaning cost only £70 or the cost of repainting as he said it was reasonable to expect the new tenants to clean or repaint if they don't like the smoke damage! Needless to say we bore the cost of this. Insurance is a must!

• 3 weeks later...
I am wanting to invest in the UK with the vision of moving back within 5 years. Im finding it very difficult to find a money lender. have lived in Australia for 14 years and have equity in an Australian property.

​Has anyone got any avenues?

Hi Michelle

I am looking at this same scenario at the moment. If you mean use your Australian equity then you can forget that! You will need cash deposit from what I have found no less that 25% although someone like hasbc want 40%!!

I have spoken to a few mortgage brokers namely liquid expat mortgages, international mortgage plans, Barclays and another I forget the name of! The guy from IMP said they are totally back logged with applications from expats. Didn't seem overly keen to help just to read an email he is sending. Still not received! It seems like a mine field that by all accounts will take a long time... Not really sure how you are meant to wait around for a mortgage to materialise if you have found a house to offer on ( like we have!)

good luck and let us know how you get on!

I am wanting to invest in the UK with the vision of moving back within 5 years. Im finding it very difficult to find a money lender. have lived in Australia for 14 years and have equity in an Australian property.

​Has anyone got any avenues?

Talk to HSBC Jersey about getting a Premier account, and they might be willing to offer mortgages for UK property.

Has anyone managed to successfully buy a UK Investment property from Aus - whether to move into in a few years time or not? I think it's worth considering at the moment with the Aus $ and comparatively depressed UK housing market. I agree that is does seem like a minefield so I'd be interested to know if anyone has actually managed it.

Archived