Further education with trepidation!

noworriesmate

Stay with me folks - a bit of background info before I get to my question:

I hated school when I was growing up in the UK - there was lots of bullying, and I couldn't understand what most subjects had to do with 'the real world' - I was desperate to leave school and left a few weeks into my A-level course after being offered a job in a bank. So for the past 30years I have avoided any form of further education - to be honest probably a lot of that was out of fear (especially exams as I don't learn that way)

Anyway, My wife was similar but decided to study when she arrived in Aus and after a lot of work she has graduated this week with a degree from a local Uni. My kids are also doing well and so I have very nervously decided to enter the fray myself and am applying to start Uni in August.

Now the thing that I am finding surprising is the attitude of the college I am going to be studying in for my degree. They are one of the top theological colleges in Australia and They are looking at what I want to achieve and helping me build the course round my work and the things that interest me. They are also going to give me 8 credits (out of a degree needing 24 credits) in recognition of prior experience in the field. Also thankfully there are no exams in this degree.

Anyway - what i'm wondering is are things that different here in Aus or whether during the past 30yrs all educational establishments are going this way and actually fitting the education around the individual rather than the other way round?

NWM

Good on you NWM! With so many "mature" and differently experienced people accessing uni these days, there does seem to be a fair bit of flexibility in course design which is easier with a course "unit" approach rather than a one size fits all degree course. I hope you enjoy the experience - most mature students seem to even if it is a bit of a jolt at first! We look forward to hearing news of YOUR degree!

Guest The Pom Queen

My son started doing a psychology degree and there is a woman in her 80's I think he said, so you are never too old.

Can't wait to see you in uniform, the Krankies come to mind :tongue:

550w_dsicons_krankie_1.jpg

550w_dsicons_krankie_1.jpg

My son started doing a psychology degree and there is a woman in her 80's I think he said, so you are never too old.

Can't wait to see you in uniform, the Krankies come to mind :tongue:

What kind of Uni do you think I'm going to - even the lecturers where jeans and a tee shirt LOL

NWM

Guest The Pom Queen
What kind of Uni do you think I'm going to - even the lecturers where jeans and a tee shirt LOL

NWM

Pmsl I can still picture you in the grey shorts and long socks :yes:

Guest The Pom Queen
Whatever turns you on!

NWM

Now I didn't say it was a turn on, in fact it could give me nightmares

Archived