Bringing a tent to Australia

North to South

Hi, I'd appreciate some guidance on whether you can bring a used (6 person size) tent with you to Australia when you migrate, and if you can does it have to be spotlessly clean? Also, I know that a lot of tents in Australia are the cotton ones, but does anyone use the more lightweight versions that are more popular here in the UK and are they OK or are they too hot in the Australian summer?

All help would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Rich

Hi, I'd appreciate some guidance on whether you can bring a used (6 person size) tent with you to Australia when you migrate, and if you can does it have to be spotlessly clean? Also, I know that a lot of tents in Australia are the cotton ones, but does anyone use the more lightweight versions that are more popular here in the UK and are they OK or are they too hot in the Australian summer?

All help would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Rich

We use the lightweight ones. It gets hot in the day, but we don't spend the day in it! We spend the day outside. We take fans for the night if it's too hot but open up all the windows. No dramas.

We also take a little blow heater for cold nights. Again no problems.

I got in the bath and scrubbed the buggery out of the 3 man tent. Inside outside, base, and fly. It took ages, especially as I couldn't do it outside; we had a third floor apartment! Don't forget the poles and ropes.

I chucked the steel pegs and brought new ones over here. I cleaned the titanium ones on my one person hiking tent, but titanium doesn't rust so they looked brand new.

On the paperwork I wrote that that tent had been scrubbed and that there was no pegs.

No issues through customs whatsoever. I think the camping gear box was one of the ones inspected. Everything was as clean as I could scour it.

Guest Guest 47403

We're not taking our tent purely because its getting near to needing replacing anyway and camping equipment is cheap in Oz, plenty of people have took there's though just clean it the best you can it's really only the bottom that get dirty.

We bought our used four man tent, wasn't really grubby but gave the ground sheet a good clean with Milton sterilising fluid ( don't use jeyes fluid as it smells strong and you will be smelling it for the next ten years!). We didn't bring the pegs as they were rusty and they don't like rust. As long as it looks clean and has no visible mud or bugs you will be fine. Can't comment on your other query as we haven't been camping over here yet!

Archived