Police check

Danielle88

When applying for a de facto visa it says I will need a police check?

Does anyone no how I would go about doing this?

i am from the uk but currently in Australia...

can I get maybe my dad to get it for me? If so where can he get it from if not is there a web site anyone knows of where I can apply or it?

is this police check a CRB??

any help would be appreciated :)

UK police checks are carried out by ACRO (http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx). You'll need the form filled out, some photos done and address proofs (for your UK address); all the details of what's needed is in the form download. It takes about 10 working days to turn around and costs £45.

You'll not need this until you've received your invite and placed the Visa application.

Oh and you will need a police certificate for each country you have lived in for over 12 months (i think; best check that time period) in the last 10 years.

UK police checks are carried out by ACRO (http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx). You'll need the form filled out, some photos done and address proofs (for your UK address); all the details of what's needed is in the form download. It takes about 10 working days to turn around and costs £45.

You'll not need this until you've received your invite and placed the Visa application.

Oh and you will need a police certificate for each country you have lived in for over 12 months (i think; best check that time period) in the last 10 years.

Hi thanks for the info

so basically I print the form off and then send it off? Can I send it from Australia?

What do you mean by I will not need this till I have my invite?

Hi thanks for the info

so basically I print the form off and then send it off? Can I send it from Australia?

What do you mean by I will not need this till I have my invite?

Sorry mis-read the post; if it were a skilled migration visa you wouldn't need the police checks done until you've been invited to apply for the visa. With a de-facto visa I'm not sure exactly when you'll need them.

However, yes, just fill it out and send it off; make sure you supply all the documentation that is advised on the form guidance notes.

cheers

Del

Yes you can do it from Australia, it takes a few weeks to get back to you. The certificate is only valid for a twelve month period. Once assigned a CO they will get in touch and ask you to do it. If you get it early, and the twelve months lapses before it is requested, you will have to do it again and incur the additional cost of this.

So basically, you are better off waiting until it is requested. It really doesn't take that long to get.

Thanks everyone :) I'm looking at applying for my visa in about 2 months time I'm just trying to get all of the relevant information together.... Ive just looked on the ACRO website and it says I need to have proof of the address if been living in for the past 6 months... So that will be my Australian address is this ok? And when I lodge my visa application is this when thy will ask for the police check? Can I not just apply for it now and then send it with my visa application?

:)

No, you will get asked when your case gets assigned a case officer. When you lodge your application it might be sat on a pile for a couple of months first, doing nothing, not being looked at. Hence why it's better to wait until it is requested, they will email you and ask you to do it. Of course you can apply for it now, but if it's validity runs out you will have to do it again. As you are still a few months off even submitting it would seem silly to do this in my opinion.

Hi Danielle,

With Offshore defacto visa applications, the CO gets in touch after they've been assigned and advise at that point when they want the medical and police checks done. I assume this would be the same for onshore applications.

As Tickled Pink has mentioned, if your police checks run out before the visa is granted (I think offshore visas have 13 month processing period at the moment), then you would just have to reapply for another police check. Front-loading your application with this won't push your application along any further either, so you'd be best off waiting for your CO to request it.

Best of luck!

If you happened to be on holiday in another EU country then you might get away with doing a police-check there, as in some EU nations they will only issue a police check simultaneously with one from your home country of citizenship.

So for instance if you happened to visit Poland during the Euro 2012 football championships and happened to drop by the appropriate office there to request a certificate, then they would automatically issue a local one as well as a UK one after checking your records with their UK counterparts.

Archived