Where are the jobs in Oz?

Merman

I have been applying for literally hundreds of jobs over the past 3 months (since January) and most of the time getting no response or regret emails. I've been applying for simple casual labouring positions which should be easy to get, I've registered with agencies, tried SEEK/gumtree, I have work experience in Australia in similar roles and can do this kind of work with my eyes closed!

So why am I not getting anything? is the job market that bad now in Australia? a year ago I walked into a job easily, but now there is nothing.

I've been moving around, applying in different states, I've tried Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. Now I'm thinking of flying over to Perth and trying over there!

As you can imagine, my money situation after this long without work is not good, If I don't find something soon I'll be flying back to Blighty! and I don't want to do that yet!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

mate i feel for you i went 10 months without work as a chippy but got lucky putting a ad on gumtree and got the best job ive ever had. hours to suit understandable bosses etc etc we where on the verge of going back and stuck it out to the final weeks then hey presto got a job. we would of been going back skint mate, still going back when i have saved enough though where are you based ,what do you do, all the best good luck and don't give up even though its hugely frustrating

Thanks Man,

Wow 10 months without work! I literally have about 1 month left before I have no choice but to leave.

I'm currently based in Brisbane, but probably going to head over to Perth next week.

I have experience in Maintenance including plumbing, concreting, painting, fencing etc as well as general labouring/warehouse. I've got a white card and forklift experience.

Just can't understand what you need to land these jobs, It shouldn't be this difficult to get casual labouring work.

I'm not going to give up, but at the same time I don't want to go home with nothing because the job market is even worse over there!

Thanks Man,

Wow 10 months without work! I literally have about 1 month left before I have no choice but to leave.

I'm currently based in Brisbane, but probably going to head over to Perth next week.

I have experience in Maintenance including plumbing, concreting, painting, fencing etc as well as general labouring/warehouse. I've got a white card and forklift experience.

Just can't understand what you need to land these jobs, It shouldn't be this difficult to get casual labouring work.

I'm not going to give up, but at the same time I don't want to go home with nothing because the job market is even worse over there!

mate all i can say is hang in there,put your attributes on gumtree and hope for the best .sending your cv to agencies is like a fart in a fan factory it will disapear. btw im in adelaide and it is tough here atm .i heard brissy is also tough . i dont like to say it but i think there is a big conspiracy going on call me racist but i think the country is trying to look after their own, which i dont blame em, whish uk did same eh.Gillard is cutting back on the 457 visas , one posted on here tday lost 3 grand on the 457 due to cancellation of job .born locals are scratching for work, who are employers going to take on in these uncertain times ? their own..my luck came from a employer who were immigrants themselves but not from the uk.i am on the 136PR been here over 5yrs with 3 kids and the missus if i can hang in there you can to, but like you say if you went back atm it would be like going from the candle to the furness

Hi Merman - and sorry to hear about your problems finding employment in Oz. Not sure that I can answer your question of where the jobs are though. So many employers are cutting back on employing people, even at the mines in WA, and more than ever it seems to be a case of "who you know" rather than "what you know". Have you gone around places in person handing out your CV and asking if there is any work going? Or even offering to do some work experience so the employer can see how you work? I know this seems a bit "out there", but it often is a good way of getting your foot in the door, even if it is just a temp role. Are you on a Working Holiday Visa or do you have PR as this can make a huge difference with employers attitudes at times. And as already suggested by beach pig, advertise yourself on Gumtree! Although I am retired now, as a former employer, I was always impressed with people who "cold called" and offered to do work experience, and always tried to find them something if I could or at least recommended them to others in my network. Just suggestions and I do hope you find something soon.

Guest guest30085

Hi Merman

as you are on the WHV, I would be looking for some rural work, get the three months done and then you could apply for the 2nd year. Then I would be looking for work in a city. I'm presuming you would be under 31 to be able to apply for a 2nd year?

Heres one link, lots of placements offer accommodation

http://www.wwoof.com.au/

Guest guest30085

Sorry if you've already had your 2nd WHV, it isn't very clear if youre on your first year or not

Good luck with the search :)

Guest guest30085
Hi Adonna,

Thanks but I am already on my second Working holiday visa.

Thanks again

Ah ok, but if you have a few months left on the 2nd WHV, it might be worth doing some rural work again, then save up a bit and then go and splurge it all in one of the cities before you return home ;)

Best of luck :)

Ah ok, but if you have a few months left on the 2nd WHV, it might be worth doing some rural work again, then save up a bit and then go and splurge it all in one of the cities before you return home ;)

Best of luck :)

I've been considering going back to the farm for a few months, just to top up the bank. My visa is up in February so I can continue looking after a couple more months on the farm.

I've been considering going back to the farm for a few months, just to top up the bank. My visa is up in February so I can continue looking after a couple more months on the farm.

That sounds a good idea..... hope it works out for you.

Archived