Can anyone please help re our 18 year old?

Dianne_W

After finding out that our daughter Laura (18) can not come with us as a dependant all sorts of things went through my mind last night sad.gif

What exactly are her options now?

What if we can come and she can't?

We couldn't leave her behind (although Joseph aged 11 doesn't see why not!) lol

How would she get a job if she's so young and not skilled in anything? At the moment she is working in a call centre but starts at our local airport in the next couple of months as cabin crew and was hoping to do the same when we came to Oz.

Can she go to college? Uni? Can she still stay afterwards? How long till she gets a permanent visa and how will she get one?

We had better get a move on cos Daniel will be 16 soon and we don't want any more hassle.

Laura was upset last night cos her dad told her she will have to pick fruit! (she won't will she?)

What if she has to go before us? Where will she live?

I won't sleep tonight either at this rate can anyone give me some clear idea of what exactly she can do?

Hope someone can put our minds at ease cos this really is doing our heads in. We are definitely still going to continue with the process but just need a bit of reassurance that it will be ok and we won't have to leave our little girl behind. sad.gif

Has anyone been in the same situation and did it turn out ok?

Hi Dianne

Sorry you didn't get the news you were hoping for we still have heard either way from our CO about our son and its almost a month :arghh:

We as bad as it sounds are prepared to leave him but in our circumstance he doesnt want to go.

He has someone lined up to share a flat with seems to be doing more and more hours I cant really expect CO to say yes although fingers crossed.

Wea re hoping that in a few more years he may actually come round to the idea.

I left home at 18 and things worked out I just hope it does for Jonathan we will keep a stash of money for his flights.

It is hard leaving him behind and it breaks my heart but at this time in his life he doesn't want the same things as we do.

I hope you get an answer to the studying question I dont know anything about it i'm afraid I know a lot of people that do follow this route though and are successfull.

fingers cossed

Guest Laura G

Hi Diane,

what Visa is your family hoping to travel on?

Your Daughter could consider a TAFE course and gain a Student Visa, this would cost $430.00 for an application fee, plus the course fee which is brolen to instalments over the 2 year course, if she studies the right course it could lead to Perm residency for her on her own skills.

She could go down the Working Holiday route and yes she will need to spend 3 months pickng fruit in order to gain a second year Visa, but this will not offer her any perm route.

I work for This is Australia Migration, if you would like to E-mail me its laura@thisisaustralia.com, I can give you a course list or you could visit our website

THIS IS AUSTRALIA

Regards

Laura

I think I am right, but am sure someone will clarify this, but if she comes via either the student or working holiday visa route for a couple of years, provided she has no other brothers or sisters left behind in the UK and is not married/in a defacto relationship then you can sponsor her as she will be 'a last remaining relative' i.e. no other members of her immediate family in the UK. You will also need to have been settled in Oz for a couple of years also, so if you time it right this is quite achievable i.e. you go when she goes (for start of college/TAFE course etc).

We are in a similar situation, have a 21 yr old daughter - was 19 when we started all this!!

she was going to come via the student route but has now decided to stay in UK for a couple of years with family and join us nearer the time when we can sponsor her.

Its a tough, tough decision to make so I know EXACTLY how you feel

luv Lyn x

• 7 months later...
Guest sullivan_artex

It can be done and there are some very good suggestions in the other posts, the working visa or study visa would be a good idea because being in the country for a while and applying from inside Australia looks good to the officials, they see it as you like the place and you do want to be there and you have made the effort to do what you can to live in the country and make good grounds by working and studying there.

Also as mentioned in one of the posts if she does complete a course over there in a trade of some kind then they will also see that to be good not only because she is trained in the particular trade but she is Australian trained which is defo a good thing to get her in.

hope this helps at all anything you would like to know bout the place when you get there just feel free to ask.

James Sullivan

Archived