This is a new question i'm sure

scotexpat

Are PR's or Aussie's able to import cars to Australia? Example i want to buy a car and ship it over just like we can do in the UK as gray imports. However no seams to give a straight forward answer.

Answer is no i have not owned it for 12 months or more...

It has been asked hundreds of times before...

If you have not owned and lived with the car in the UK then you can not import it under the personal import scheme. Period.

There are a number of options though, listed here :

http://www.raws.com.au/ImportSchemes.asp

Most likely you can go down the RAWS scheme if the vehicle is on the SEVS register.

http://raws.infrastructure.gov.au/

This allows you to buy a car in the UK (for example) and them import it to OZ. The trick is that only a few companies are allowed to do the import on your behalf and the cost of this is significant. A recent blog post (who knows if its accurate thought but it is close) is that its $18K for the RAWS dealer fee on top of the cost of the car, freight / insurance costs, and the tax / LCT of bringing it in and the registration / compliance.

You will probably find that there is very little difference between the cost of a local car and the total cost of RAWS, specially when you factor in personal imports will be worth less as time of sale. So a ROUGH example :

£40K for a ferrari 360 ($60K)

$5K for freight / insurance etc

$15K for taxes

$18K for RAWS

$5K for compliance.....

So that will be $103K. Looking at carsales.com.au, there are 10 around $95 - $110K so you putting it right in the middle. Then factor in $10K less for an import and you will be worse off....

Having said that, if there is something special in the UK (for example), a color, spec, option that would make it more valuable in OZ then it might (MIGHT) be worth it. But you would have to do some serious research.....

Hope this helps....

Archived