Working Holiday Visa 417 and ABN

sarah2603

Hey guys

Now we all know you can't work longer than 6 months for one employer when on the above visa. I now read that you actually can't work longer than 6 months full stop. Is that true?

Further, how does it work when I'm not employed, but freelance under an ABN? I work with some sort of agency (they're more like a registered brand than an employment agency), and I don't invoice them, but rather the client directly.

I've been doing this already for nearly six months, am I ok to keep going?

Thanks

Sarah

I now read that you actually can't work longer than 6 months full stop. Is that true?

If you want the truth on anything related to immigration, check the official DAIC site.

Where did you read it? On the DIAC site? Can we have a link?

Or was it just something written by some anonymous stranger online?

You can work for the whole 12 months of a WHV but only for up to 6 months with any given employer.

I'm not sure about your particular agency arrangement. It sounds like it may be OK to do work for them for over 6 months, but you should check with DIAC.

The DIAC sites says:

"The 'employer' is the business or organisation for which you are working directly.

If you are referred by an agency or labour supplier to a business, you can work for six months for that business. The same agency or labour supplier can refer you to another business where you can work for another six months. You cannot stay in the same position with an employer for more than six months by using different employment agencies, business affiliates or sub-contracting arrangements."

Yes, I read that, too, however, they're not an agency, I double checked with them. Basically, I have been given the contacts of the clients by them, and then go out and work for these clients who pay me by me providing them with an invoice.

Re not working for more than six months generally, I'm afraid I can't remember where I got it from :/

Archived