Car Insurance - No claims drama

Kirsty M

Hi Folks,

I'm heading back to the UK in 6 weeks. I've just got my no claims certificate from my car insurer here in Oz. My dad just collected a car for me and I need to sort out car insurance for it before the 5 day complimentary inurance runs out. I've been on Confused.com and got quotes but I'll need to call around to see who will accept the Oz certificate. Can anyone point me in the right direction with companies that might accept it?

Also, in a really shitty twist of fate, I reveresed out of my driveway into a parked car today...so will my certificate be checked out in the UK or will they accept it at face value? I've never had an accident in all my years driving....sods law!!! No moral lectures thanks :wink::wink:

Tks

Guest chris955

We have 2 seperate policies for our cars and neither company wanted to see the proof but accepted the full period of no claims. One is Co op Eco Insurance, cant remember the other one off hand. All the companies I asked would accept the no claims.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi...We were with Allianz in Oz .had no claims .....understood they would honour our no claims in the UK...but no they did not want to know...you will find if you have been out of UK as we had for 8 yrs it is very difficult to find cover ...most companies don't want to know and if they do it is going to cost you thats from our experience but good luck trying....

Guest chris955

We were away 12 years and had no problem at all getting cover with the full no claims. It certainly is not true to say most companies dont want to know.

Guest guest41161

Aviva are another company who accept Oz no claims, and have never asked to see my certificate! And I was away 9 years.

I've managed to get cover. I did find initially that lots of companies weren't interested but I used comparethemarket.com and they allow you to tick a box for overseas no claims, and that saves all the phoning around being told "NO". The other compare websites don't have that option.

Archived