Hostels or House Sharing?

SR91

Depends how much sleep you want! when I've stayed in hostels I've always found them to be really noisy, and the population is clearly very transient. Some places I had food stolen too, while others I knew had money and valuables stolen while they were asleep. It became routine for me to sleep with my money and passport. In some places you can get single occupancy rooms, usually a double bed, I did that by the end just to get some peace!

If it were me, and I was working I'd not consider a hostel, a shared house would be better. The advantage of a hostel is its cheaper, and you'll meet people. But the facilities may leave a lot to be desired in terms of cleanliness.

Haha - I had some cheese pinched out of my bag in the fridge one night! Wasn't cheap either - cracker barrel stuff! Really fancied it too after coming home from the pub! That's the only thing stolen though - although of course it did happen - but didn't see it first hand (which amazed me, as people used to leave laptops hanging about). Makes you a bit complacent though, and I guess I was lucky. I got into the habit of sleeping with my passport, ipod, phone, purse, keys, lip balm (!) etc under my pillow!! Made other people laugh - but I did it mainly so it was all to hand if I needed it quickly! I actually preferred staying in a hostel. I moved from a very busy hostel in Perth when I got a job (thought it was the right thing to do) - and I actually missed having people around! I used to sneak back in at the weekends!! haha - although, I got used to the house share (was a big house and lots of other travellers staying there), so wasn't too bad! I'd go for hostel first - then think about house share :)

Archived