Visa grant question, help much appreciated!

christiancarella

Hi,

I just have a query regarding the granting of a partner visa. My partner has applied for a de-facto visa a few weeks ago. This should be granted in November sometime. We are planning to travel across Thailand for 3 weeks prior to arriving in oz. We have applied for the visa in London as that is where we both live together. I do know that we have to be out of australia when they grant the visa. The thing is, what happens when the visa is granted, will they post it to our house in London? Or will they just notify us by email and will this be enough proof for when we get to Sydney airport?

Let me know your thoughts. I look forward to hearing back from some of you.

Thanks.

We have a similar situation with a child visa that we have applied for, for our son. We have asked our case officer and she told us we will get an e-mail before being granted. So if we are in Australia at the time we will need to leave Australia for 3 days until his visa have been officially granted. My understanding is we will get an e-mail rather than hard copy post. As for proof, it's all done electronically to your passport number. So when you go through customer/security, that in effect will validate your new visa.

As i say, not 100% sure but something you will need to double check when you have a case officer allocated....

Good Luck! x

There's no need for a visa label these days - visas are issued to the last advised passport of the visa applicant => your partner being in Thailand or anywhere else outside Australia won't be an issue.

Upon visa grant your partner will be emailed by the DIAC case officer to be advised of visa grant: I usually recommend that a hard copy of the grant advice is retained when travelling to Australia in case of need.

Best regards.

Archived