Zetland/Alexandria Anyone have any experience

auspanda25

I live down the road in Waterloo. Not much happening in Zetland, mainly office/industrial around Green Square station but not far from Alexandria at all. Lots of modern apartment blocks in Alexandria, good food options - some very posh cafes there now, some pubs has a shopping precinct around Danks Street with a Coles, Aldi, bottle-o and cafes. Lots of young professionals there. Probably easier to find a property when you arrive than the usual suspects (Surry Hills, Glebe, Newtown, Bondi etc). I would say it can be a little soulless though and has been heavily developed in last 20 years. Nightlife is pretty dead around there however and you would probably end up in Newtown or Erskineville if you are looking for a big night. There are a couple of parks nearby, Alexandria Park and Waterloo (cricket at Waterloo, kids, BBQ's, dogs at Alexandria).

I think that Alexandria seems to have small 'hubs' of infrastructure, a cafe here and a take away and shop there, rather than an obvious centre. (But maybe I'm wrong about this, as the reply above mentions a precinct). There's lots of industrial warehouses / units, and those discount shops that sell seconds of branded sports clothes etc. People who live in Alexandria say they love it, but I don't! If you're wanting to live in that geographical area, consider Erskineville which has more of an atmosphere. Mitchell road seperates Alexandria from Erskineville, so if you live round there you may have an Alexandria postcode (cheaper) but only be a 10 minute walk from the centre of Erskineville.

I don't like Zetland at all! There's lots of high rise residential blocks going up at the moment. Maybe in 10 yrs time they'll be a bit more of a community feeling too, but at the moment, it's very bland. Only a short drive to the Eastern beaches, though.

I think Alexandria, Zetland, Waterloo etc are classes as 'city fringe' suburbs, next door to the 'Inner West' suburbs.

Hi. We were looking at zetland, it all depends what you want. If you want to be in the middle of the action then it's prob not the best place to be, but what we found was that the standard of apartment was significantly better in zetland - so it's the toss up between location and standard of apartment. Zetland is really nice but quite quiet, saying that, there is a few cafes and its only 15 mins into the centre of sydney so not too bad at all. Plus it's 5 mins in a taxi to surry hills which has lods going on.

Just so you know, we went for standard of apartment! We're in mascot, we got a brand new split level 2 bed for the same price as something much smaller and older in the centre. But that's just us - were handy for the train station so it doesn't bother us too much but it would be too quiet for some people. It's all about what you guys want. Hope this helps!

'Old' Zetland is a mini-inner city framework of terraces with the Zetland Hotel close by. I was talking to someone the other day who told me the tram used to go down there. I stopped there at cafe for coffee a couple of weeks back. 'New' Zetland is 'appartment city!' (or perhaps that is more Waterloo?) I can't believe how many blocks are going up. I think the Zetland Hotel is now called 'the Zetland Hotel at Green Park because of the development around there? (All these question marks to signify I don't know what is happening on my own 'doorstep!' If I drive down Elizabeth Street and then continue into the street alongside the Zetland hotel, as I said before, it's like a mini Surry Hills full of lovely terraces. Would I move there? Probably not but only because I can walk everywhere in Surry Hills. I'd probably prefer Alexandria which has a few more cafes and pubs and also some nice streets and parks. Best to come out and have a look and see which area grabs your fancy (assuming it is in your budget!)

Archived