Areas in and around Hobart (up to 45min drive to airport) for good broadband access

violethaze

Hi

At some point I'll be moving from the house I have been in for about 6 weeks in Kingston (when it sells and I'm set free from my lease to find something more to my liking - although Kingston is convenient, I admit).

While here (in Kingston) I've learned of the huge issue of not being easily able to get access to Broadband due to a shortage of ports, especially adsl compatible ports at the Telstra exchange which means I've had to resort to using a wifi modem which is too expensive and too slow most of the time.

When I move I want to move somewhere that will not involve an issue with getting broadband. Is this possible in Tasmania??

Other considerations in my move are to not get stuck in traffic in the mornings (so I'm thinking not anything that requires travelling in the direction of Hobart along the Brooker highway or the Tasman highway in the mornings. (I work at Cambridge Park).

I very much like the area just south of Kingston but I imagine the issue with broadband will be just as bad there. Maybe I'm wrong.

I will be renting as I am not in a position to buy unfortunately. I like rural with a bit of character.

Any feedback welcome.

I think it is impossible to generalise about broadband anywhere in Tasmania. You may move to an area which has a recently upgraded exchange and therefore has ports available, or to an area which has recently been connected to the NBN fibre optic network.

I have a fixed wireless 4G connection - because my fixed phone line couldn't support ANY ADSL - and that costs me $40 a month. I don't know if you consider that expensive? I may be able to get it cheaper but I opted to go with Telstra because of the mountainous area in which I live and the fact that Telstra had the strongest signal for this area when I made the decision.

Edited by Skani
clarification

Thanks Skani

I use a lot of data and I don't want a contract period (but would rethink that if it is the only way to get functioning broadband once I move. Won't do it now when I have no idea when I will be moving).

These past three weeks I have used 17gb of data. This cost me $39 (amaysim data to tether my laptop to my phone - includes free texts and phone calls) + $59 for Blink 10gb mobile broadband via a wifi modem I bought (one off cost) + $30 to top up the amaysim data as I'd used my monthly allowance. So $130 a month for 17gb. If I'd had a good connection I would have used more data.

I'm not very clued up on fixed wireless connections. Someone mentioned it before and I did a google but was none the wiser. I thought 4G was only available in certain areas. Don't understand how fixed wireless is different to a wifi modem/broadband. Limited knowledge in this area but trying to learn :)

I'll take a look at Allen's Rivulet and Longley - maybe on the weekend.

Edited by violethaze
three weeks not a month :(

Hi

We have recently moved to Blackmans Bay. Which is a lovely area. However I have a 17 year old son and Internet is everything! I have had to sign up to a contract with telstra but the speeds are really slow, theyre looking into it at the mo but currently at 1.8 download speed. Apparently we are getting Nbn at the end of May, which should improve the situation. The contract didn't seem too bad as it included landline with cheap calls back home and foxtel tv. However if you exceed 200gb in a month the speed slows right down, which I find hard to believe is possible, which also effects the tv. With Internet gaming and streaming iPads and iPhone for the family 200gb isn't as much as it seems. Apparently Telstra is supposed to have the best coverage through bigpond but there customer service up till now has nt been great, but hey let's give them a chance. Roll on nun and well see if my son can use the xbox then, listening to myself it sounds like we want the best of both worlds hey?

Thanks to those who have replied. I guess if newcomers are interested Sandy Bay seems a winner. Kingston Beach also has NBN so I guess that's ok too. Kingston itself is supposed to have NBN by May of this year.

Shame I don't want to live in any of those areas. Does anyone know if NBN can be had without signing up for a contract period?

Is Blackman's Bay getting it in May also? I can empathise with the teenage son trying to get by with limited access.

I'll just have to deal with each property as I view it in the future and telephone Telstra each time I view a place to ask them if there would be any delay/issue getting internet connection.

You can search the rollout map here. According to it, construction has commenced in the Blackmans Bay area

http://www.nbnco.com.au/when-do-i-get-it/rollout-map.html?icid=pub:hme:rollout:hro:img

Re non contract period: you will deal with the usual service providers so you may find one who offers this. There are websites which offer comparisons of various broadband options.

I think anywhere within about 5 km of Hobart CBD has good speeds but I know they are not the areas you want to live.

I have recently tested mine and I get about 8Mbps on fixed wireless, although that can vary (presumably when the infrastructure is really overloaded).

There is also a question in my mind about what will happen if the Liberals win government in the next Federal election in September. They say they will scrap the NBN rollout.

Skani

Who do you have your fixed wireless through? Whenever I google "Fixed wireless" it returns items related to the NBN, so I thought that was the only way it was available. Do you mind telling me who yours is with - I suspect it is Telstra? EDITED: I just found Tas Communications, which offers wireless internet. A bit pricey in terms of set up and considering I don't know how long until I will be moving, but this is something for me to keep in mind for the future when I'm settled in to a place for a while.

I was being lazy when I asked about the timing of Blackman's Bay getting NBN... I've looked at the rollout map a couple of times but couldn't be bothered looking to get my question answered. apologies for being lazy :)

A test of my speed gives me 0.14MBps ...

RUBBISH

Edited by violethaze

Yes, it is Telstra. We initially tried to get ADSL but were told, after testing, that our phone line wouldn't support it. So our only options were fixed wireless or satellite (which was more expensive).

Although I would prefer to go with anybody but Telstra we chose them because, at that time - and maybe still? - they had the best coverage around these parts (surrounded by hills and lots of trees) so thought we would get the strongest signal with them.

This is a list of broadband plans in Tassie and includes several wireless options. Some of the smaller providers probably use the Telstra network but I am not sure which ones - you would have to ask.

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/?action=list&loc=7

You can also use a menu here to choose, thought it's not immediately obvious if all are available in this state:

http://broadbandguide.com.au/

I'm not a technical geek so I may be talking through my hat but, if you have a smartphone which shows a download speed at a specific location, that may indicate the sort of speed you would also receive on your computer?

Someone who knows may be able to comment on this.

an update in case anyone is following in the background. TAS Communications only operate in the northern part of the state. They have provided the company Tasmanet as an option for my area/Huon Valley area. I'll update when I learn prices.

OK, so prices are as per their website. As I am going to be moving within 12 months and they treat a move as a new installation, the monthly option is best for me (to avoid early cancellation costs), however the installation cost for the monthly service is more than I am prepared to pay. So this is a no go for me at this time, but maybe the info is of use to someone else.

Edited by violethaze